Don’t be put off by the long ingredient list, because this recipe is absolutely delicious! If you prefer, you can substitute the fish for other seafood, chicken , turkey, pork tenderloin, or a vegetarian protein source. Make the marinade for the fish first, and the cucumber salad and lime mayo while you wait for the fish to absorb the flavour.
For the fish and marinade:
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped cilantro, or 2 tsp cilantro seasoning paste
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/8 tsp chili flakes
- pinch sea salt and ground black pepper
- zest of 1/4 lime
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 fish fillets, such as cod or snapper, about 100g each
- 2 tbsp fat-free plain Greek yogurt or light mayo
- finely grated lime zest (1/4 lime)
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- dash salt
- pinch of cayenne pepper (optional – do this if you like a little heat!)
- 1/2 seedless cucumber, diced
- about 10 cherry tomatos, halved
- 1 small green onion, sliced diagonally into 1/2 inch pieces
- about 2 tbsp roughly chopped cilantro leaves (or parsley, if you’re not keen on a strong cilantro taste)
- 1 tsp lime juice
- pinches of chili flakes
- dash of salt and a pinch of sugar
- 2 tortillas (such as Ezekiel Sprouted Grain Tortillas)
- lettuce leaves (optional)
- lime sauce and cucumber salad (above)
FISH: Combine all ingredients for fish marinade in a food processor and puree until they form a paste. Alternatively, if you are using cilantro seasoning paste, just stir all of the ingredients together in a bowl. Cut the fish into strips, place them in the marinade, and refrigerate for at least 15 mins.
While this is happening, make the following:
LIME SAUCE: Place all ingredients for sauce in a small bowl and stir. Set aside. (How easy is that???)
CUCUMBER SALAD: Peel cucumber if desired, then dice. Halve cherry tomatos and slice green onion. Chop the cilantro leaves, then add everything to a bowl with the remaining salad ingredients. Toss to combine.
Back to the fish….
Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Empty the contents (fish and marinade) of the bowl into the frying pan and cook until the fish strips are no longer opaque in the middle. Remove from heat.
Place 1 tortilla on each plate. Line the tortillas with lettuce leaves, then the fish mixture. Next, divide the cucumber salad and lime sauce evenly between the 2. (If you have leftover cucumber salad, you can serve it as a side.) Wrap up the burritos.
Now, if you’re really hungry, go ahead and start eating. BUT, if you have a sandwich press, they’re really good if you give them a little squish for a few minutes. (To ensure that the tortilla stays closed, place a knife on top of the fold as you lower the top plate. Carefully slip it out as you press the burrito down.)