- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 4 large stalks celery, diced
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 2 tart apples, diced (I used Crispin apples)
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp each chili powder, ground cumin, coriander and ginger
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth + 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup brown or wild rice blend
- 350g boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add garlic, onion, celery, and carrots. Cook until slightly softened.
Add the apples and all spices, then cook, stirring frequently for about 3 minutes. Add chicken broth, water, and rice. Increase heat to high and bring the soup to a boil. Then reduce and simmer for 30 minutes. (Rice should be almost cooked).
Trim any visible fat from the chicken and cut it into small pieces. Add it to the pot and increase heat to medium-high. Cook until chicken is no longer pink inside (about 10 minutes). Pour in the almond milk and reduce heat to a simmer. Finally, add the lemon juice and season with sea salt and pepper to taste.
Nutrition per serving: 185 calories, 5 g fat (1g sat) 34mg chol, 172mg sodium, 18 g carbs, 3g fiber, 9g sugar 19g protein.