- 1 onion, diced
- 1 carrot, cut into chunks
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1/2 c low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 can diced or stewed tomatos, drained, or 2 cups roughly chopped tomatos
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 454g lean ground turkey (or 2 cups canned chickpeas)
- 1 tbsp each ground cumin and dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp chili powder or chipotle seasoning
- 2 cups kidney beans, drained
- 1 cup yellow corn
- 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp finely chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- chili flakes (a pinch for a little spice, or more to make it hot!)
- black pepper
Finely chop the onion, carrot, and celery stalks. Heat olive oil in a large frying pan. Add the vegetables and turkey (if using), broth, cumin, oregano, and chili powder. Cook until vegetables are soft and turkey is cooked.
Add the drained beans, tomatos, chickpeas (if using) and corn to the frying pan and bring to a boil. Add chili flakes and black pepper to taste. Simmer for about 10 mins. Stir in 1/4 cup of chopped cilantro just before serving.
In a small bowl, combine the plain yogurt, 1 tbsp of finely chopped cilantro, and a pinch of chili powder and black pepper. Mix and serve on top of chili as a garnish.
Nutrition (using turkey) : 369 cal, 30g protein, 11g fat (3g sat), 40mg cholesterol, 42g carb, 10g fiber.
Nutrition (using chickpeas): 343 cal, 16g protein, 3g fat (0g sat), 0mg cholesterol, 69g carb, 15g fiber.