- 1 cup dry quinoa (red and white varieties are the same nutritionally – the only real difference is the colour)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1/4 tsp garam masala
- 2 green onions, white and light green parts, sliced thinly
- 1/4 cup dried fruit such as finely chopped dried apricots or raisins
- 1/4 cup unsalted cashews, halved
- Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
Rinse quinoa thoroughly to remove saponin coating. Boil it in a small saucepan with the turmeric and water for about 15 minutes, or until all water is absorbed. (Check the pot occasionally – you may need to add a bit more liquid to prevent the pot from becoming too dry).
Meanwhile, prepare all other ingredients. When quinoa is cooked and the grains have puffed up, stir in the spices and remaining ingredients and serve warm.
Serves 3, just under 1 cup each
Nutrition (for 1/3 of the recipe): 299 cal, 8g fat (1g saturated), 0mg cholesterol, 6mg sodium, 49g carb, 5g fibre, 8g sugar, 10g protein