IMG_5622

Recap: Try Something New Tuesday 75

Gooooood morning!

Happy Humpday! Firstly, thank you so much for all of your feedback on yesterday’s post about what healthy means to you. It sounds like you all agree that healthy is more of a feeling and a decision to make good choices most of the time, as opposed to a number, or striving for perfection. I like the way you think!

On to the topic of today, here’s the run-down of my new things tried this Tuesday!

1. Recipe of the Week: I find it pretty hard to believe that up until about 2 years ago, I couldn’t stand hummus. Being a salsa girl, in my mind it was the most bland, uninteresting condiment out there and I couldn’t understand the hype. Times have changed, and now, I can’t get enough of it. Since Friday marks the first day of fall, I couldn’t help but give you a recipe this week that contains pumpkin as a main ingredient.

Behold, Pumpkin Hummus!

It took a while for me to get the seasonings right, but the final product was definitely swoon-worthy and smooth in my books.  After taking several big licks of the spoon, I let the hummus sit in the fridge for a few hours in order to let the flavours meld a bit more. I’d recommend using it to add a nice fall-y touch to chopped fresh veggies, crackers, or just about anything else you might put hummus on!

2. Seaweed snacks! Those of you that have been following for a while know that I’ve done a bit of seaweed experimentation in the past – wakame, kelp noodles, and most recently arame have all been successful Try Something New features. On the weekend, I finally managed to track down a seaweed item that I’ve been looking for forever – well, ever since I started seeing them pop up on blogs which was at least 6 months ago!

In case you’re unfamiliar with these little packets, they contain sheets of salty roasted seaweed. Although I don’t really get strong cravings for chips, I thought seaweed snacks might do a good job if simulating their texture and taste. This wasn’t exactly the case. In fact, less-adventurous eaters might think of them as giant Listerine PocketPacks gone wrong.

First of all, although the texture was crispy, they definitely didn’t have the crunch that a chip has – they’re literally about the thickness of tissue paper! The sheets were quite brittle, almost like kale chips, and they had the saltiness that you’d expect from a chip-like snack.

Overall verdict: Seaweed snacks, you’re definitely an interesting one, and yes, I agree that nutritionally speaking, we could all do with a little more seaweed in our diets. But if I was looking for a snack to fill me up, you certainly wouldn’t be my first choice!

3. A new group exercise class: Pilates. Ok, slight lie here. I actually tried this on Monday, but I had to because it isn’t offered at the gyms I go to on Tuesdays. Although now that I think about it, it was probably already Tuesday somewhere in the world…. ;) Anyways, about the class…

(Source)

The one I signed up for was an intro to Pilates, so the intensity and difficulty was fairly low. We used a whole bunch of equipment – the Pilates ring, small weighted rubber balls, resistance bands, foam rollers, and light rubber balls about the size of a volleyball. The exercises we did for the hour were dictated by the instructor, and they mainly worked the core, glutes, inner and outer thighs, and back. Unlike the types of hot yoga I’ve been trying (Bikram and Moksha) there wasn’t a whole lot of order to this class. You’re probably thinking, “Well obviously. Pilates is not yoga!!” Part of me liked this, but the other part sort of likes knowing what to expect.

(Source)

Even though I wasn’t feeling many of the muscles we worked the day after, I still enjoyed the good stretch that this class gave me after work. I’ve signed up for another one tonight, but it’s not an intro class, so I’m excited to see if it’s a bit more challenging.

And now, for my questions for today:

• Are you a fan of Pilates? Ever tried it?
  • When you do a group exercise class, do you prefer to be surprised by the instructor’s choice of workout, or do you like to know what to expect (for example, as you would with Moksha or Bikram yoga, where you move through a series of pre-defined postures)?
  • Thoughts on seaweed snacks?

Have a wonderful day! :)

Comments

I’m interested to try the pumpkin hummus, sounds good. I go to a Pilates class on Mondays, but only like 1-2 times a month. I have other things I go to on Mondays, so unfortunately, I cannot get as often as I would like, but when I go, I really like it. It was a nice compliment to an off day workout, and since I was running a ton for the 1/2 marathon training, it was perfect. I haven’t tried the other yoga classes, and would probably like them too.

fun post today, angela!
    seaweed snacks: i will leave them for you! (although it sounds like you may not want a whole lot of them!)
    group fitness: if it’s strength training, i like to be surprised. if it’s yoga, i don’t mind if we don’t do EXACTLY the same poses but i do like a flow: ie standing postures, seated poses, core postures, savasana (although savasana is my least fave, i could do without, although i know it’s important!)
    glad you tried pilates! i have, too, and wasn’t that keen on it. i like yoga much better!
    enjoy the class tonight!

3. Lily says

Your pumpkin hummus sounds delicious – definitely going to make this over the weekend!
    I love seaweed snacks – it really does the trick for my salt cravings and is very low in calories. – btw – tastes yummy with goat cheese

Yep I did! I actually found them at Farrah’s Foods by U of W. They have a ton of seaweed products and other Asian groceries, but a lot of them don’t have any English on the packaging so you might just have to ask! Walk in, turn left past the cash, then right when you can’t go straight any more. There are 3 types, 2 with no English and 1 (the ones I bought) with a little English on them. $1.29!

LOVE pilates…but haven’t done much of it post-partum. Need more of it in my life!

Seaweed snax..I loved them, but the more I have the less I can have. If that makes sense. I know what you mean about them filling you up!

Pumpkin hummus…amazing….seriously..great job with that!!! I need to try it!!!

5. Rana McDonald says

Hi Angela, I am new to your blog and I really love it. I also happen to be a pilates instructor. As far as the mat classes go-they are all very subjective. The basic choreography will become familiar to you quickly. Some instructors choose to stick with a set flow ea. class and some (like myself) will vary the routine. The key should always be on cueing form, breath and posture awareness.
    I hope you continue to take class. Based on what/how you write- I would have pegged you as an intermediate/advanced gal offf the bat. Kudos to you for starting with an intro class first.! You strike me as more of a cardio gal and I think you will enjoy a pilates class with a slightly higher intensity, or maybe working on the machines. take care and good luck!-Rana

Hi Rana! I’m so glad you found me! It’s great to hear that I’ve got some Pilates instructors as readers – now I’ll know exactly who to go with if I have any questions! The routine the instructor delivered in the class I went to seemed quite piece-y and made up on the fly, but maybe that was just the instructor’s style. She did give a lot of form cues, and as you said, indicated when we should be inhaling/exhaling too. I’ll be sure to write about the Pilates classes i do in the future and like I said, might have some questions for you later! :) Have a great day!

Hi Angela, I’m new to your blog as well – I am a mad crazy spin and RPM instructor here in Australia (live to spin!) and also teach pilates. It’s a completely different feeling to spin and it’s very helpful in encouraging us cyclists to use our hamstrings/glutes more and quads/hip flexors less.
    Hope to stick around – looks like we have a bit in common!

PS I don’t do seaweed!

Hi Liz! Great to “meet” you! Thanks for the info on Pilates, and yes, using my hamstrings/glutes rather than hip flexors is definitely something I need to work on! I run a lot as well, so I’m hoping to do a lot of Pilates to balance out the stress on the muscle groups. I’m glad you stopped by, and thanks for commenting! :)