How are you? I hope your week has been going fabulously so far. Mine certainly has, and yesterday I had one of the most amazing foodie experiences I’ve ever had. I originally planned to put it in this recap, but it was so fantastic and interesting that I’m going to tell you all about it next week in a separate post. Stay tuned!
On to my other new things! Here they are:
1. Recipe of the Week: Shredded Brussels Sprout Salad with Toasted Almonds. Ok, it’s time for someone other than me to give these magnificent sprouts some lovin’, which is why I propose that you make them a part of your Thanksgiving meal if you’re celebrating tomorrow.
I’ve already declared my love for Brussels sprouts several times, and you can bet I demanded them for our Canadian Thanksgiving dinner last month (in the form of Lemony Brussels Sprouts.) In the mood for something different (and because I already had my food processor out for other kitchen magic), I tossed them in with some other goodies and came up with this colourful combo.
A note on the almonds: Toasting is key! It’s super easy – just toss the slivered almonds into the oven for about 5 minutes until they turn golden. This adds so much flavour to the salad!
2. Wild Squirrel Sneaky Cinnamon peanut butter. A few weeks ago, the lovely Keeley and Erica from Wild Squirrel contacted me about sampling some of their peanut butter. I’d seen it a few times before, and I knew that Kath is particularly fond of the brand so I couldn’t wait to get some for myself.
The flavour I received was Sneaky Cinnamon – perfect for a cinnamon-a-holic like me! It contains nothing but peanuts, raisins, peanut oil, agave nectar, cinnamon and salt. I’m not sure if you can see them, but there are real raisin chunks in there!
I am so in love with this flavour, but can’t wait to try the others! Curious Cocoa-Nut contains all-natural peanut butter, quality dark chocolate, and a “smooth undertone of coconut”. Then there’s the Bright Eyed and Bushy Tailed, which is an espresso chocolate peanut butter. Gahh I don’t know if I’d be able to pick a favourite!
3. A new small indulgence: Vanilla Cupcake candles from Bath & Body Works.
As you guys know, I’m not a big sweets person. I don’t claim to be good at baking (for the most part) and I’d rather eat tons of dinner than save room for dessert. However, I’m a huge sucker for 2 scents: vanilla and butterscotch. Give me a whiff of either and I’m in heaven! Like most Christmas shopping ladies in North America, I found myself in Bath & Body Works recently. As usual, they had shelf upon shelf of delicious scented candles in all sorts of seasonal scents. Gumdrops, oatmeal raisin cookies, winter forests, toasted marshmallows, cinnamon sticks – you name it, they’ve got every scent of the season covered. Although they all smelled delicious I was immediately drawn to this one:
Many vanilla-scented products have entered my home before, and each time I’ve had great hopes of filling the air with delicious vanilla aromas. For every 8 or 9 times out of 10 though, I’ve been disappointed by the lack of staying power. However, this was not one of those times.
Lately I’ve been making a conscious effort to slow down, specifically during 2 key times: meals and after work. So, last night after enjoying a delicious dinner of roasted veggies and fish on greens (terrible lighting in the kitchen, hence the lack of photo), I lit my vanilla cupcake candle in my room while taking a nice, relaxed flick through some magazines. Within a few minutes I noticed the subtle vanilla notes, and they smelled delicious!! Call me sad and a little strange, but this was one of the most relaxing nights I’ve had in a while! It’s the little things, right?
Questions for today:
- What small indulgences make you happy?
- If you’re celebrating Thanksgiving tomorrow, what’s the dish you’re looking forward to most?