IMG_2267

5 Goals for April

Hey there lovelies!

How’s your day going to far? Awesome and ready to talk about monthly goal setting again? I hope so! I’m super DUPER excited about April and am quite confident that the experiences I’ve got planned are going to make it one of the best months in 2012. Goals-wise, I’m looking forward to all of them! Rather than focusing on fitness and nutrition (which I still thoroughly enjoy), I’ll be pursuing some hobbies and generally chilling out. This is one part of my 2012 vision board that tends to get a bit neglected, so it’s going to see some major lovin’ this month. Here are the 5 things I’m working on:

1. Make my own sushi.

I’ve professed my love for sushi on the blog several times and one of my fun goals for the year is to learn how to make it. Initially I envisioned myself attending some sort of sushi making class but from what I’ve learned from Google and the blog world, it’s actually quite easy to do. I’ve got my sushi mat, nori sheets, chopsticks, and all the other goodies I think I’ll need. Now it’s time to get cooking!

2. Launch a new and very exciting new page on the blog.

If your guess is that it’s my health coaching site, guess again! That’s coming, I promise. I’ve got another little something in the works and the launch of it is planned for early next week. Stay tuned… there’s a giveaway involved!

3. Read a food photography book.

It’s actually one I already own but have failed to dive into due to a bazillion other things, but I AM going to tackle it this month! Remember back in December when I bought this?

I bought it when I purchased my camera with the intention of taking all sorts of fabulous photos while I was in Italy over Christmas. Photos were indeed taken, but not with any background knowledge that came from this book. That’s all about to change, and I’ll be reading Food Photography: From Snapshots to Great Shots while working on my next goal…

3. Learn to use my camera in manual mode.

Up until now, my Canon Rebel T3 DSLR has been set in auto mode, meaning that I don’t have to know a thing about aperture, f stops, depth of field, etc. However, I want to put to use what I learn in goal #2 and learn how to get as much as I can out of my camera. I realize that there is a ton to know about photography, and luckily I’ve got some friends that can help me out. As a kid I never would have thought I’d get as much enjoyment out of a camera as I do now. Isn’t it weird how our hobbies change?

4. Be a fantastic bridesmaid.

As I’ve mentioned, I’m headed to Australia this month to be a bridesmaid in the wedding of one of my best girlfriends. Cynthia and I met when I lived in Bahrain. She was one of the first friends I made at school and we hung out all the time until her family moved to Singapore. I went to visit her family there just prior to moving back to Canada in 2006 for university, and it was SUCH a fun trip. We spent an entire week shopping, sightseeing, catching up, and drinking margaritas in fancy restaurants. What’s not to love?

She has since moved back to her hometown of Melbourne. In my 23 years so far, I haven’t even been to a wedding, let alone be in a wedding as a bridesmaid. I’m so pumped for the whole experience and can’t wait to be there for her on her big day. So far, Cynthia has been a fabulous bride – she sent me my bridesmaid’s dress, and it actually FITS! All I had to track down were some silver strappy sandals, and that mission was accomplished last weekend. What do ya think?

5. Relax, unwind, and have an absolutely brilliant time in Australia!

This will be the longest holiday I’ve taken since the time I was in between being a student and finding my full-time job – and that doesn’t really count as a holiday. I’m so excited to let go of my daily commitments and just go with the flow of whatever happens. As many of you are well aware, I’m a big planner and seldom head into a day or week of my life without having an idea of what I’m going to do next. Part of me really likes the comfort that routine brings, but I think that we need to bust out of routine in order to keep learning and growing. We also need to give our brains and bodies a rest so that we don’t fizzle out. So, for the time that I’m away, I’ll be a fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants, chilled-out kind of gal. Melbourne, here I come (…well, in a couple of weeks!)

(Source)

Now it’s time for you to tell me…

• What are your goals for April?
  • What’s one thing you’ll do for your own emotional/mental wellness this month? I think this aspect of our health is often neglected, but it’s so important that we take time to de-stress and do things we enjoy regularly. What will it be for you?

Comments

wow!! i am SO excited for you, angela, about your trip to australia – i can’t believe it’s almost here (i remember when you first mentioned it AGES ago, and then back in the winter). love that photo of you and your friend! and those shoes are AMAZING!!!
    thumbs up for focussing on five goals in other areas of your vision board – they all sound like fun! can’t wait to hear how the sushi making goes!
    i think april is going to FLY by!!

2. Barbara says

Hey! Great post. Took me a while to get used to manual mode on my Nikon D3000. The books that really helped me understand the settings (aperture and the like) were “Understanding Exposure” and “Photography for Dummies.” Thanks to these two, the only time I take my camera off manual mode is when I let someone else take a picture. Check out these two books, they will be a GREAT help!

I love setting monthly goals! I don’t always accomplish them, but they’re always posted on my blog around the first of the month. This month I have 10 goals AND fitness goals. Whew. But I definitely NEED the fitness goals in my list for my mental wellbeing :)

I like your 10 goals for April Ange! Personally I’m a meal planning nerd so that one gets me excited! It sounds like you’ve got a good mix of things to tackle this month. Have fun with them, and good luck with your fitness regime too!

I am working towards setting boundaries with others and asking for support and love and letting go of the need for others’ approval! Great goals..so excited to hear about you as an Aussie gal!:)

Those are fun goals! I like that the focus is on enjoyment and hobbies. 1. I loooove making sushi at home! It’s so fun, and far easier than most people think it’d be. 2. Excited for this new page… 4. Love the shoes :) and 5. Have such a wonderful trip!

This month, I’m trying to get back to enjoyment too, but in running. I stopped enjoying it since I turned it into a “have to” rather than a “want to,” so my goal is to run for fun :) And.. I will be aiming to monotask more, focusing on one thing at a time. I’m inspired by your photography endeavors, though. My camera isn’t too fancy, but I know it does a LOT more than I use it for, and I’d like to learn how to take better photographs. Maybe this summer!

Great focus for the month, Meredith! I often feel the ‘have to run’ feelings when I’m training for races, rather than the ‘want to run’ feeling that I get when I’m not training for anything. This is one of the reasons I stopped racing for a while, but right now I’m really excited about my half marathon coming up in August. I can’t wait to hear about how you do with this, and the monotasking too!

You have a knack of coming up with the best goals! I had never been to a wedding before I was a bridesmaid 2 years ago and it was a great experience. I’m sure you’ll have a blast!

Also, I’ll be emailing you back shortly! Interestingly, I’ll be on vacation in a few weeks as well! I’m pumped to just relax and let go too. :)

Those are some fantastic goals!! And what an exciting trip to Australia. :) For my own emotional/mental wellness I like to get some alone time on a regular basis. It helps me wind down, relax and just focus on me.

Your March Goals inspired me to set some April Goals, which I did in a post last night (www.fitscallyresponsible.com). One thing I am going to do for myself this month is finally get my car detailed. It will make me feel like I’m driving a new car!

Australia sounds like an amazing trip – have fun!

Yay I’m glad you found me again Anna! And thank you so much for the link love in your post today. I agree with you – car detailing can feel like such a luxury! Good luck with your April goals – they sound like fun (especially the jean shopping!) I am VERY impressed that you’re doing the Tough Mudder!

That’s so awesome about launching the new page! Sounds like a great opportunity and I’m sure lots of people are going to be interested! You definitely know your stuff! I want to make my own sushi so bad! I should try that out this month as well. So jealous you get to go to Australia, I’ve always wanted to go there!

So excited to hear about your trip to Australia!! And I felt the same way about rolling my own sushi– thinking I needed a lesson, but finally just diving in and trying it. Even if it doesn’t turn out perfectly on the first try, it’ll still be delicious. :) Practice makes perfect!

I have yet to learn how to use my camera in manual mode… and have very little patience to do so. Let me know if you learn any good tricks!

11. Ashlynn says

For emotional/mental health i’m going to start relaxing in bed with a candle before trying to go to sleep!

As for april goals – My goal this month is to better integrate strength training into my workout regime!

Wow, I would love to visit Australia. You have some fun goals planned. I love my dslr. Once you start shooting in manual you won’t go back. I also shoot all of my photos in raw. I tried going back to jpeg, but I couldn’t get into it.

Your goals last month inspired me to set April goals, which I posted on my site. The one I’m most excited for is improving my running speed. Yesterday, I met my 100 burpees in 10 minutes goal.

Working on my emotional/mental wellness always takes a back seat to everything else. This month I’m going to try to spend more time alone. Alone time is a luxury for me considering I have twin toddlers.

Good luck learning about your camera! I bought an DSLR a few months ago and it’s been a crazy learning curve. I went to a seminar and the speaker started off by making us put our cameras in Manual Mode then said “now never move it!”. It’s forced me to learn through trial and error!

Emilie

Oh my gosh your coming to Australia that’s awesome!!! I’m a sydney gal but I love Melbourne (and pretty sure you will too!). If you need any advice on things to do or places to eat let me know! One of my goals for april is to get adventurous with my protein sources. I really want to try bison and cook more with kangaroo meat too

Oooh yay! That’s great to hear – I may shoot you an email for some recommendations! As for protein sources, even though I don’t eat red meat I have tried bison (just once) and it was… interesting. Not in a bad way though, just different to what I’m used to! Let me know what you think!