Happy Good Friday to you!!
I hope you had a nice long, extended stay in your bed this morning! I certainly did – well, if you call 7:30am sleeping in. My body just can’t seem to do much longer than that! The Weather Network tells me we should be seeing a bit of sunshine this weekend, so I’m really hoping to do some nice outdoor runs. My first of the year was about 3 weeks ago in 8 degrees C, and it was more than a little chilly! Since then, I’ve been in the gym instead and earlier this week I created a marvelous cardio-strength combo that I’m excited to share with you for Fit Bit Friday.
Work It Out
I realize that workouts are probably not the first thing on everyone’s minds when it comes to Easter, but just in case you do plan to squeeze one in this weekend, I’ve got you covered! In the spirit of Easter and rabbits, I’ve named this routine, ever so appropriately….
The Hop-On, Hop-Off Workout
***Disclaimer: As is the case with all workouts posted on Eat Spin Run Repeat, please check with a medical professional before beginning any exercise program. I am not a certified personal trainer and all workouts found on my blog are based only on my own experience.***
This workout combines quick bursts of treadmill cardio with 3 strength moves that work your entire body. How’s that for multitasking!? I’ve been practicing my simulated hill running lately in prep for real, outdoor hill running, and I like this workout because each hill only lasts 10 minutes. There are 3, and they’ll get tougher as you progress through the rounds. Between each hill, you’ll hop off the treadmill and complete the 3 strength exercises. I’ve switched up the order of the three on each round to keep muscles guessing, and there are several variations of push-ups to try. Watch out – the last round is a brutal one! Take a 1 minute rest between each strength exercise, then hop right back into the cardio portions.
When you’re finished, cool down with some light walking on the treadmill, then stretch and foam roll your legs and back if you have a roller available. I promise, when your next workout rolls around, you’ll be glad you did!
Turn It Up
This week’s tune is Cinema by Benny Benassi and Gary Go. I haven’t used it in a spin workout yet, but this is a great one to add to your playlist for an interval or tempo run. It’s got a steady beat to it with a few more driving parts that help to get your legs going just that little bit faster, but it’s also chilled out at the same time.
Have a Read
- 7 hot fitness trends for spring – via Fitbie. Who wants to try Bollywood dancing!?
- From Training Schedules to Meal Plans: Everything you need for your first race - via FitSugar
- The Long Way: Strategies for overcoming mental and physical obstacles that get in the way of your long runs – via Runners World
Alrighty friends, that’s all for me until next week! Before you head off, I want to know:
- What are your plans for this long Easter weekend?
- Do you have any Easter traditions in your family? When I was little and when my family lived in Edmonton, my parents would set up an Easter egg hunt in our backyard. However, those that live in Alberta know that just because it’s spring doesn’t necessarily mean that there’s no snow on the ground. If this was the case, ‘The Easter Bunny’ would decide to leave a trail of Cadbury mini eggs through the house to our Easter Baskets. It wasn’t the mini eggs that were the highlight though. I was a huuuuuge fan of Marshmallow Peeps, and today can’t believe I ever thought they were so darn delicious! Apparently they come in all sorts of colours now, and the newest ones are chocolate dipped. Well hey there, cavities!