How to make green juice in a Vitamix - Eat Spin Run Repeat

How to make green juice with a Vitamix and a pair of tights

That’s right. I was going to call this post “Minimalist Juicing” because you don’t need a juicer, but the above title won because I realized that the Vitamix isn’t exactly a minimalist piece of equipment.

For the past couple of months I’ve been reading posts from blog friends like Leanne and Megan about their lovely green juices, made in their fabulous fancy juicers. Having just purchased a Vitamix for myself (and don’t worry, after writing this post I did the responsible adult thing of sleeping on the decision for 24 hours before actually pulling out my credit card), another expensive gadget really isn’t in the budget. However, after hearing from several sources that the Vitamix is quite capable of producing green juices, I decided to give it a whirl (pun fully intended) and test out a recipe of my own. The process was simple, and the results delicious. Here’s how I did it:

Step 1: Pick your produce.

Some veggies will make your juice sour or bitter, whereas some will sweeten your brew. Carrots and apples, for instance, are naturally higher in sugars and therefore will produce a sweeter juice.

I like to start with a good base of celery juice. The younger Angela thought celery was a terrible vegetable, even when smothered in Cheez-Whiz or peanut butter and dotted with raisins a-la-ants-on-a-log. The more sophisticated me thinks ants on a log are a terrible idea, and that celery is a beautiful vegetable! It’s super good for us too – celery helps to reduce blood pressure, contains anti-cancer compounds, and also delivers a hefty dose of vitamins A, B, and C. The micronutrients in celery in its solid state include magnesium, iron, sodium, phosphorous, iron, and potassium, and the breakdown of its fiber during the juicing process helps to make the nutrients more available for our bodies to utilize. I like to combine celery with cucumber  because the two together are super refreshing, especially on a hot day.

Another green in my flavour-of-the-week mix is parsley, which contains a boatload of cancer-fighting and inflammation-combating phytonutrients. This is not just a garnish folks. There is plenty of vitamins A, B, C, and K to be found in parsley, as well as iron, folic acid, and chlorophyll. Oh, and to top it off, parsley is a natural breath freshener. No mints or gum? No probs – chew on a sprig of parsley instead!

Of course, I’ve got some dark leaves in there – kale and spinach are my faves and you can add about as much as you like of these. Spinach is sweeter, so if you’re into sweeter juices, I’d recommend that you go a little more spinach heavy.

Aside from apples, lemon is the only other fruit in this mix. You can add as much lemon juice as you like, depending on how tart you like your juices. Lemons have detoxifying properties and help to give fresh juices a sour twist, which I enjoy.

Here are the quantities of each ingredient in my recipe:

• 6 long stalks celery
  • 2-3 apples (use 3 if you prefer your juice sweeter)
  • 3 carrots
  • 1 medium sized English cucumber
  • 2 cups mixed greens (kale and spinach are my favourites)
  • 1 cup very loosely packed parsley
  • juice of 1 lemon, plus more if you like your juices tart
  • 1 cup water

Step 2: Wash your produce and chop the most dense pieces.

Since we’re dealing with several members of the dirty dozen here, be sure to either buy organic and/or wash your fruits and veggies as thoroughly as possible. Don’t worry about chopping the parsley, spinach, or kale – just chuck them right in the Vitamix. Cut the cucumber, celery and carrots into chunks about 1 inch wide, and toss them in too. Core the apples, and throw them into the jug with a hefty squirt of lemon juice and 1 cup of water. You will likely have to add these things in batches because in their whole form, they won’t fit in a 64-oz Vitamix jug.

Step 3: Blend away!

With about 1/3 of your ingredients in the Vitamix jug, blend until smooth. Then add another 1/3 and blend, and follow with whatever is left.

If you’re having trouble getting the mixture to move, try pushing it down in the jug with a spoon (with the motor off), or add a little more water.

By the time you’re finished, you should have a nice gurgling green concoction that resembles swamp water.

If it looks like this, then you’ve done it right!

Step 4: Make your strainer contraption.

For this, you’ll need an old pair of tights and a pair of scissors. I cut up a pair of older opaque tights and I’d recommend these instead of nylons because you’re going to be squeezing the crap out of them. Nylons might be a little too thin, and as a result, you could end up getting pulp in your juice which we don’t want – or at least, I wouldn’t want.

Cut about 12 inches/1 foot off of one ‘leg’. If they’re footless ones, tie a knot near the bottom as shown below.

Step 5: Separate the juice from the pulp.

To do this, place the bottom end of your tights/strainer in a clean pitcher. Transfer the green mixture from the Vitamix jug into the top of your strainer, adding about 1-2 cups at a time. Use your hands to squeeze as much of the juice out of the tights as possible, leaving the pulp inside.

Continue adding the green mixture to the tights until you’ve emptied the Vitamix jug. By the time you’re finished squeezing, you should have at least 1 liter of juice in your pitcher. Taste it and add a little more lemon if desired, or stevia if you’re looking to make a sweeter juice.

Now you may be wondering, “so what do  I do with all the pulp?” This is a fabulous question, and as of yet, I can’t say I’ve found a great answer. Megan has a few ideas on her blog (just search ‘pulp’ in her search bar) but when she juices, she doesn’t have the problem of it all being trapped within a pair of tights. I know it’s wasteful, but I’ve yet to actually do anything with my juice pulp. I’m sure you could though… just be sure it’s a clean pair of tights that you’re using. ;)

This juice can be stored up to 2 days in the fridge, but drinking it when it’s fresh will provide the greatest health benefits.

And there you have it! So tell me…

• Are you a green juice fan? What are your favourite blends?
  • If you have a Vitamix (or other high-powered blender), have you tried making green juice? How did it turn out? What other blenders do the job?

Comments

• Jane says

First of all, the pulp is where all the nutrients are! You don’t need to remove it when you use a Vitamix! And second, putting your clean, fresh, organic juice through a pair of toxic hose defeats the whole purpose! (dyes, dirt, chemicals) Your juice will come out beautifully, pulp included, in a Vitamix! Maybe you’re not mixing it long enough! If you want the pulp removed (not recommended) use a juicer! But if you want the benefit of all those nutrients, use your Vitamix and don’t remove the pulp!

• Elle Tee says

I was wondering the same thing…. Why use the Vitamix if you are going to strain the pulp… The purpose of the VitaMix is the have a WholeFood Juice… and the panty hose…. O.o

Hi Elle,
          You’re right – using a Vitamix does allow you to have a whole food juice (as in, with pulp) which is packed with nutrients. However, a few people had been asking me whether they should buy a Vitamix or a juicer, or if they needed to buy both. So, I wanted to show that it’s very possible to make juice just like you’d get out of a juicer in the Vitamix, and therefore you don’t really need to spend money on both appliances.

• Ron says

Yes, using the correct setting for a sufficient time is important. Vitamix allows you to use the entire vegetable…. however, there’s roughage in that and you may find yourself rushing to the facility….

Filtering the final product will significantly reduce this issue.

• MOEZFO says

I too have a Jack LaLaine juicer and it is a PAIN to clean, hence the reason for buying the VitaMix. I can’t wait to try this recipe but do you have to strain out the pulp thru the tights? Can’t you just drink that too?

Yep you absolutely can just drink the pulp if you like! I used the tights to show that you could get an entirely pulp-free juice, but you can just spare yourself the trouble if you’d rather not use them. I actually did some videos to show the difference – you can check them out here!

glad you got your vitamix, angela!! a wise investment, given how much you will use it – that’s awesome that you treated yourself!
    i don’t like juicing/juice, actually…i’d rather eat a veg or fruit by itself. i like your DIY strainer crafty project, though!!
    how many sleeps til your trip? haha!

2. Desiree says

Angela, I love how you show us everything step by step and with photos. What a great idea. I have been wanting a Vitamix for awhile now. I have a ton of digestive issues and drinking my fruit/veggies agrees with me more then eating them. Now if I can just sweet talk hubby into letting me get one…that might be tough!!!

I’m so happy to help Desiree! I’m head over heels in love with the Vitamix and used it 11 (yes, 11!!) times this weekend. Juicing does remove the fiber from fruits and veggies which is likely why you find juices easier on your digestive system. (Just be sure to get some fiber from whole foods too, because our bodies still need it to ‘keep things moving’ if you know what I mean!) ;) Maybe if your hubby drinks a few green juices, he’ll believe you when you tell him how awesome it is!

• Rose says

Had hoped I would not have to go through all this when I purchased the Vitamix. Much prefer the green juice from doing the actual juicing process with the juicer. I guess will have to make do until I can replace the juicer.

Oh don’t worry – as I’ve mentioned in earlier comments, you don’t have to strain if you don’t want to. You can blend longer, which will help to break down the veggies, and if you don’t mind a slightly thicker consistency, you can just drink it as it is.

• sandra says

i love my vitamix and i would never throw out the pulp,that would be defeating my purpose, if its to thick i run it longer or add more liquid,the soup it makes is awesome,comes out hot and delicious and u can even make ice cream and breads ect its a amazing machine.

• Steve says

I too have digestive issues. Drinking the Vitamix blended juices has helped tremendously. I never would think to strain it though, that negates one of the biggest features of blending vs juicing. All the nutrients are lost. Just blend a little longer….

I’m with you! Drink it. If you can’t enjoy it that way, spice the pulp and make thin patties to put in the dehydrator for raw crackers. Yummo!

I do not have a Vitamix but I might need to get one… I’ve never made a green juice or “juiced” at all; really, I stick to my smoothies at best. but If I had the proper tools (Vitamix) for juicing, I’d probably love making drinks to keep in the fridge for when I need em!

I’ve found that green juice was a bit of an acquired taste, so if you don’t like your first one, don’t give up there! Initially I loved blends with carrot, apple, and ginger, but now I love sticking greens in too. If you’re looking for a place to start, I’d go for a carrot + apple blend. Hope you enjoy! :)

• Mary says

The reason for this is that most people are so acidic and so when they first have a really green alkaline juice, it just doesn’t taste so good. Sweeten with a little coconut water or fruit or carrot to start off and get that body headed towards being more alkaline and eventually you start to crave the greens. The only problem with this as I can see it, is that the high blade RPM’s oxidizes that drink pretty quickly and the juice loses its valuable nutrient content very fast. SO drink up!!

Yep, you definitely can! I prefer to strain it but if you don’t mind the pulp, go right ahead. If you want to get rid of a bit of pulp, you can always run the mixture through a fine mesh strainer. It won’t extract as much juice as the tights method, but it will help to make the consistency thinner. Enjoy!

I am loving green juice..yesterday I made a carrot apple green juice that was divine!! I just bought the Viatmix this past weekend and I am LOVING it..when did you purchase yours? I am looking forward to exchanging more recipes!! :) xo

Carrot and apple is one of my fave blends too! I bought mine about 3 weeks ago and had it shipped to my cousin’s house in the US to avoid having to pay extra shipping to get it sent up here. I’m looking forward to some juice recipe exchanges too!

Oh my gosh, what a fantastic idea!!! I have a juicer and a vitamix, but let me tell you – the juicer is a royal pain to clean!!! I would much prefer to blend it all up and then strain! Much less clean-up that way. I think. ;)

• Carol says

Why would you ever want to strain all the nutrients away? That is the purpose of the VitaMix – to KEEP all of the nutrients by blending them in!

Omg, So weird. I literally have a post in my drafts I was going to use on thursday for juice in a vita-mix haha. Guess I’ll post that later. I used a nut milk bag for mine though! I like the tights idea, that is too awesome. I seriously love my vitamix, best thing ever! Happy tuesday! :)

7. Ronda says

Angela, just curious. Why don’t you drink any of the pulp with your juice? Doesn’t that have good nutrients? Thxs

Hi Rhonda! There’s nothing wrong with drinking the pulp at all – I just prefer my juices to be totally pulp free like they would be if the juice was made in a juicer. If you don’t mind the pulp though, feel free to slurp it up!

8. Dale says

I use the vitamix everyday and love it. I use my vitamix to liquify greens. I too used a strainer but the metal strainer type that has a tight mesh. however, I found that if I add enough water and ice to the vitamix I can leave the vitamix run for 3-4 minutes on high and the end result is a completely liquified mixture of water and greens.

I pour this mix into a glass pitcher and stir prior to pouring. It’s not thick, and you won’t have strain the pulp because the pulp is no longer pulp, but instead its a fabulous juice. Hope this tip helps

This is great! Thanks so much for letting me know. Next time I’ll just let the Vitamix do its thing for a little longer and see if that liquefies the mix better. It would definitely cut down the amount of time needed for the whole process if I didn’t have to do the whole straining bit!

• Tiffany says

Thanks for all of the great tips, all of you! Just a quick question – doesn’t your juice start to cook when you leave the Vitamix on that long? I made almond butter in mine yesterday, and it was warm when it came out. Do you let it cool after each minute or so? Thanks! =)

Hi Tiffany! I didn’t notice too much heat building up because I don’t think I’d been blending the veggies for long enough, but I don’t think it would create as much heat since the friction with almonds would be a lot greater than vegetables.
        PS. For the pulp, my absolute fave way to use it is in omelettes. Absolutely nothing goes to waste!

• Theresa says

Yes, if you do all your blending on the very highest setting on the vita mix, you will get heat. Its how you make soup. The heat is from the motor, at that high speed. If you don’t want heat, use the lower setting, and then just give it a few seconds on the high.

9. Brook Berg says

I don’t actually strain my juice from my Vitamix, I make a smaller batch, add a bit more filtered water and drink it right down. Most of the pulp is suspended in the drink and it is more like a smoothie. VERY filling. I haven’t tried celery yet though.

Thanks for the tip Brook! I’ve been doing the same lately (because I don’t always have patience for the straining!) and you’re right, it does work really well! Celery is awesome and detoxifying.. let me know how you like it!

10. Tracy says

How do you disguise the taste of the celery? I put one stalk of celery in my juice and that’s all I can taste and it tastes really salty to me.

Hi Tracy,
      I’ve found that celery has been a bit of an acquired taste, but if it’s too strong for you, try adding a little more apple or carrot to sweeten it up. I didn’t find it super overpowering, but if you really want to hide it, the apple, carrot, or a squeeze of lemon should do the trick. Hope this helps!

11. theresa says

I just made a green drink yesterday in a vitamix that I borrowed from a friend, I didn’t strain the pulp. As a matter of fact, it did not seem pulpie at all. Do you think I over blended it….what is the problem with leaving the pulp in. I thought that would be beneficial? I’m confused. I used the recipie from “fat, sick and nearly dead”. It was pretty easy to drink, for someone who has not been a vegetable eater for a very long time. Anyway, why are we instructed to remove the pulp?

Oh don’t worry Theresa, you totally don’t have to strain it if you don’t want to! I have made this juice several times since posting this tutorial and if you blend long enough, the pulpy bits get really really small. If you don’t mind them, there’s no need to strain them out. Nutritionally, the fiber of the fruits and veggies is in the pulp so by all means, leave em in! :)

12. Jenny Curto says

I use my vitamix daily for juice and smoothies and I love it! Just something to keep in mind… letting it run for 4-5 minutes will start to heat the juice up with friction and this also starts to strip the nutrients. But, there was a study (of sorts) done and found that the fruit and veggies oxidize much slower when left in with the pulp before being strained. So if you are trying to juice in advance maybe blend it, and wait to strain it until you are ready to drink. The pulp essentially helps keep or protect the mixture from oxidizing. Also, I use a nut milk bag to strain. Super easy and quick! In under 10 minutes I can prep, blend, strain, and have my vitamix and nut milk bag cleaned- and my juice good to go! My new favorite smoothie or Juice is Tomatoes (I use heirloom), bell pepper, carrots, cayenne or hot peppers, parsley, and a little fennel. The combo may sound weird but it’s Picante/spanish deliciousness!

13. Pam says

I buy bulk produce and give it to my friend who has the Omega juicer. I was craving a green juice earlier and googled juice with the vitamix. IS there a difference in the nutrients from juicing with the Omega vs. Vitamix? By the way, I LOVE my vitamix! It is the most used tool in my kitchen. I make the most amazing hummus, smoothies with pumpkin, oatmeal, sorbets for my kids as well as yogurt smoothies for them, cheesecake filling. I even ground my whole bean coffee in it. Over the summer, I was making frozen lemonades and limeades everyday to cool off. ;)

Hi Pam,
      Great question! I’m not 100% sure, but I have read that the longer processing time required by the Vitamix to make juice can cause more oxidation of the nutrients in your ingredients (which means they’d be less potent than if you used your juicer). But I think having a veggie juice daily, regardless of whether it’s done in a Vitamix or a juicer, is awesome for health. I can’t imagine my days without one! I’m with you on the Vitamix love – mine is used daily for so many different dishes and drinks. Even though it’s getting chilly outside, I’m liking the sounds of one of your frozen lemonades!

Thanks so much for the idea! I’ve always wanted to make green juice homemade but don’t own a juicer. I tried this tonight in my VitaMix for tomorrow, and it turned out perfect! It looks exactly like yours, and tastes amazing! Thank you again!

15. Pam says

I read ur post last nite and decided to give it a whirl. My friend has a juicer and makes me juice a lot. But I have the vitamix (which I LOVE), but I crave the juice. I like the fiber and smoothy consistency for sweeter snacks but I like the juice as a thirst quencher since I only drink H2O and decaf green tea. The recipe made approx. 32 oz. of juice. I first tries the coffee filter. Blew threw bottom. Then my daughter’s tights. Worked great. What I really liked is that u could wrap the opening of the tights around the edge of the wide mouth container and then pour in from the vitamix. I’m using the pump tonite in my meatloaf. Thanks for the tip. I’m not running out for the omega as I thought. ;)

I’m so glad you had success Pam! I also thought about using a coffee filter but soon realized I wouldn’t be able to squeeze much out of it and it was going to take forever to strain out the bottom (if it didn’t get too soggy and just fall through, as yours did!) And awesome idea for the pulp. I have been using mine in omelettes and it adds a really nice texture, not to mention lots of veggie fiber to make them more filling. Enjoy your juicing (sans Omega!) :)

• Tiffany says

Oh my gosh, FABULOUS ideas for the pulp! I have been drinking it because I detest waste, but I will have to try these. I’m new to juicing, so THANKS!

16. Patricia says

I will try the juice recipe. Yum.
    If you use a nut milk bag, available on line or at health food stores, you avoid the weirdness of straining your juice through panty hose!

17. Robin says

I didn’t see it mentioned in the comments but you can also use a paint strainer bag to stain your juice. It’s cheaper than the nut bags.

18. Pam says

OK, my husband bought the omega for me for Hanukkah. When we were at chef central, the man helping us also told us about the paint strainer if you juice with the vitamix. I believe he uses it when he makes almond milk. I may try that and compare the process to the omega. The tights were ok, but I could never wash them quick enough and can imagine going through quite a few pair. Both ways, it’s not a quick process and both make a mess. But the final product is delish.

19. Keith Senator says

I have been told that the vitamix turns at such a high rate, that it actually impacts the food in a negative way. Also, the centrifugal approach is the least effective process in making juice.

I have a vitamix and I have a champion. The champion makes a good juice, but so does the Vitamix. For the vitamin, I use a kitchen towel, place it over a large bowl, pour the pulp ridden juice over the top, then squeeze it out into the bowl. For the Champion, it comes out already ready to drink.

Summary, I prefer the Vitamix but probably for the wrong reason. It is just a lot easier to clean and I prefer it even if I have to squeeze it by hand.

I have seen presses that are used to extract the juice. In fact the Gerson therapy lists the Champion as an acceptable juicer and then they use a press to extract the juice. I am sure this maximizes the produce. The Norwalk is great because it has the press built in, but that rascal is very expensive.

Hi Keith,
      Thanks so much for your comments. I also now have a juicer (the Jack Lalanne Power Juicer), and like you, I think both the Vitamix and the juicer make good juices. I have also read that centrifugal juicing isn’t as effective as the masticating action, but since I’ve been using the pulp in things like omelettes, I’m not overly concerned about any wastage. I hadn’t actually heard of the Norwalk juicer before, but I just Googled it and OHMYGOODNESS…. an absolute beauty, but you’re right – ridiculously expensive!!

• Keith Senator says

I may not understand the reference but my experience with a french press has been mainly with tea and coffee, where the material being pushed down is quit coarse.

Hi Michael, I’ve never considered it, but now you’ve got ME really curious! I don’t actually have a French press because I don’t drink coffee, but I’ve just done a quick Google and I’m pretty sure it would work. Other bloggers have written about making nut milk and using the press rather than a nut milk bag to strain the pulp out. Let me know if you give it a try – I’d love to hear how you get on!

• Keith Senator says

I will say that it will be hard to apply any pressure. You have a flimsy little rod and screen and cant really mash down. Sure it will work, but you may leave quite a bit of nutrients in sludge you can’t get to. The other neg is that it is quite small, at least mine is. My press is just under a quart. Most of my juicing, I am doing a half gallon. For others doing a glass at a time, this may be a good option. I will give it a try just to see.

• Michael says

Ugh, as you all know, I meant “thought,” not though. I’m annoyed at myself. :). If we try using a French press, I’ll let you know.

20. Susie says

Going to make this tomorrow for my 7 yr old niece, along with some fruit smoothie/juice/sorbet options, she has the flu, so hopefully we can keep her hydrated and pump her full of healthy nutrients! Thanks for a great post!

21. Steph says

Thanks for the recipe! Have an idea what you can do with the pulp: put it on the compost heap/give to a gardener who needs/makes compost…

I love my Vitamix..and was looking for some recipes and found this.

I loved my juicer but HATED the clean up, of the screen, so the tights make this so much an easier job.

I garden so I just put the pulp into my compost, which I certainly recommend that everyone do. If you don’t garden, I am sure you gotta know at least ONE, if you are a person that juices..

if you don’t post a sign up at your Green Grocers that you have plup for people to use in their compost and they can call you to arrange how you can get your stuff to them..do NOT ALLOW THIS GOLD to go to waste by throwing it away..HEAVENS NO..

23. JayKayTee says

A few years back we bought a Champion juicer to try the Reboot challenge, which my husband and I did. We love the juicer – what a powerful tool.

We then chose to try eating a plant-based diet, which we also did and found that the Champion was still great but with the nut butters, non-dairy milks and faux foods that I was making the Champion wasn’t adequate.

So, a few months ago, Costco had VitaMix on sale and I just couldn’t pass up the “deal”. (We looked for a used one and found several but we wanted the 7 yr warranty.) We bit the bullet and I can say I prefer the Champion for juicing and the VitaMix for just about everything else. Another awesome and powerful kitchen tool.

I’ve juiced in the VitaMix but haven’t strained it. From the comments adding more water and letting it run longer may take care of the too thick to drink quality of the results.

If I had to strain my juice each day I wouldn’t keep up with it. So the Champion is staying around for that. Now I like the idea of yours in using nylons, but I don’t wear them so no ready supply. l use one of my flour sack dish cloths to strain the almond milk I make and that works well, probably would for juice staining too.

Thanks for blogging!

24. Amanda says

The tights work well for most things. The vegetables and most fruits leave a gritty, putty-like substance in the tights. I have noticed that a couple of fruits, most recently papaya, leave almost nothing in the tights and what has gone through has visible goop in it. Having been on a juice fast for the last couple of weeks I can also definitely tell from my digestion that there is fiber in the juice. Would I have a similar problem with a “real” juicer? Is there some secret list that I can’t find of foods that have this problem and should be avoided?

Hi Amanda!
      Great to hear your feedback! I think you’d definitely notice a difference with a ‘real’ juicer. Softer fruits don’t do so hot in a juicer though – bananas will clog it up and I imagine if your papaya is really ripe and soft, it might do the same. Having said that, I’ve used mango and the juice has come out with the same thin consistency as if I’d used just greens and more dense, hard veggies. If you’re not ready to buy a juicer, perhaps try blending harder vegetables, then straining them, and see if you get as much of the ‘goop’. I’m interested to hear how it turns out!

25. Momii says

Another suggestion: In making the Mean Green juice in my Vitamix when finished I had a container fo green goo. But I bought the Vitamix because juicers extract all of the fiber and I WANTED the fiber.

So what I did was pour 1/4 cup of mean green goo and add 1/2 to 3/4 cup of water – distilled / spring / tap / your choice.

That allowed me to keep the fiber and drink the juice. It tasted just like Mean Green made in a juicer (I’ve made Mean Green when I had a juicer) and I didn’t have to keep stirring it to keep the fiber afloat.

I do however have to perfect the taste of the juice as I think I added too much lemon. O_o LOL!!

Great idea for the green goo!! I agree – the fiber is valuable, so don’t waste it if you can avoid it! I’ve also shared a similar experience with the lemon juice when I was just getting started with juicing. A little really does go a very long way!

• Shari says

You can strain your juice through a paint strainer bag. I bought 2 for $2 at Lowes. They are just like the nut strainer bag’s that are smaller and more expensive. I make almond milk and I have the best almond pulp left. I am a smoothie kind of gal but may try straining to see how I like it. The strainer bag’s work fantastic, try it.

That’s an awesome idea Shari! I’d never even thought of that. As you said, it’s a much cheaper option, which is great especially if you’re using ingredients like beets that have lots of staining potential. Thanks for the idea!

26. Valentina says

This is a great recipe! I actually like the pulp and prefer the more “whole food” juices. I actually added a bit of light coconut milk and it added consistency and flavor. All great stuff… Thank you, Angela! PS I am a 57-y-o triathlete now experimenting with alternative ways to pump up my energy level and add some muscle – so…. Vitamix recipes here I come!

Aw you’re so welcome Valentina! I’m glad you enjoyed the recipe and coconut milk sounds like a very tasty addition! I think it’s fantastic that you’re continuing to do triathlons and working on achieving more muscle mass. Since muscle mass decreases as we age, it’s awesome that you’re being so proactive!

27. Mary Ann O'Neill says

Hi!
    I just got a Vita-mix and I have been experimenting with it and loving it. I am 56 years old and trying to keep fit and healthy. I make a green drink in the morning consisting of kale, spinach, cucumber, apple, pineapple, kiwi, and sometimes carrots, and broccoli. It actually makes about 6 cups as I add 1/2 H2o and ice. I will drink 2 cups for breakfast and sometimes drink the rest throughout the day. I will eat dinner or one meal a day. Is this too much to drink and can you drink too much?

Great to hear you’re loving your Vitamix Mary Ann! Your green juice sounds amazing. I don’t think it’s too much at all – especially now as we’re getting into the warmer months and our bodies require more fluids to stay hydrated. It is possible to drink too much water, but you have to drink a TON of water and majorly dilute your blood in order to do that – the condition is called hyponatremia and it happens when the sodium levels in your bloodstream fall too low. You shouldn’t have to worry in your case though, because you’re getting lots of vitamins and minerals in your green juice. I’d say keep it up!

28. Minna says

Hi…just tried juicing with vitamix..
    question: the pulp left after going through the nylon bag method..is it greater or lesser than the pulp you get from juicer…?

Both produce pulp right?.. So why am I getting an impression from readers that only vitamix is giving pulp..or it’s just my hallucinations:)

Also is the vitamix pulp wetter or drier than juicer pulp ..? Don’t wanna invest in juicer..for now..however was worried that juicing in vitamix and the nut milk bag method of straining might be leaving out the nutrients compared with a juicer…are my fears real or just fears..thanks for ur site and insights..

Hi Minna, I generally find that I have a little bit of pulp in my juices when I use the tights/nut milk bag, but most of it stays in the tights. The wetness of the leftover pulp in both your juicer and your nut milk bag will depend on 1) how efficient the juicer is (I’ve been told masticating juicers squeeze a bit more juice out than the centrifugal type that I have) and 2) how long you spend squeezing the juice out of the pulp in the tights. As for the pulp quantity produced by each method, I think they’re similar. I’ve never really done a volume comparison, but the difference is that all the pulp becomes compacted in the nut milk bag/tights as you squeeze it, whereas the pulp in my juicer shoots out the back into a container, so it’s not as dense. I’m sure if I were to press it down though, the amount would be comparable. Hope this helps!

• Minna says

Thanks for your lightning fast reply..:)

Yeah it does reply to some of the aspects..
        Was wondering if as an experiment you can compare pulp quantity and the wetness of them (to figure out how much juice gets left behind with vitamix…) cause if its not much then there’s no point invest .5k in juicer..

However am more curious to know..would the nutrient content comparison in both vitamix juice technique and traditional juicer masticating gear type 1 and 2 and centrifugal one…

I am assuming nutrient in vitamix will be greater even though juice quantity might be less..as it breaks down ingredients to a deeper level than conventional juicer in turn extracting more nutrients..or is that a biased opinion..being a vitamix owner..your thoughts would be appreciated

I wish I could say with certainty which method would produce the most nutritious juice, but again, I think it depends on a couple of things. Centrifugal juicers produce heat, so the longer you run them, the more this will decrease the potency of the nutrients in your produce. This is also true if your juice is left sitting exposed to air, regardless of the method used. Juicing in the Vitamix would produce heat (sort of like a centrifugal juicer) but don’t forget that if you leave a little pulp in, you’re also getting valuable fiber which neither type of juicer would provide since the fiber is removed completely. In the end, I think it’s all a matter of personal preference. I’m not sure if you’ve read my Juicy Tidbits series yet, but there are 4 posts and you can find them all here. I weighed some of the pros and cons in the first post, Juicy Tidbits 101. Juicers are great for making your juice quickly, and you don’t have to spend the time straining them yourself. However, if money is an issue, I think you can achieve nearly the same results with a blender, and use it as a multi-purpose gadget to make smoothies (among other things) too.

• minna says

Thank you Angela, well what do u know I tried it and it came out great…i guess I squeezed every bit out of the pulp..and then used the pulp in a lentil soup as well..so dont feel bad about having to discard pulp.

I used 1/2 cup water…1 medium apple, 2 cups spinach, 3 carrots some ginger and 1 orange. I made six 8 Oz cups. which was enough to satiate me and tasted good as well.

I will be going through the tidbits section in more details …for now thank you for your insights..Cheers.

Thank you so much for this tip, Angela! I’m going to try some juicing recipes on my 4 year old–didn’t want another appliance, esp. since I don’t need fiber-free juice (but she could definitely benefit from the concentrated calories and easier digestion of pulp free juices). Thanks again!

30. Jennifer says

I’d say use the leftover pulp from juicing as compost! It would be great for any plants that you may grow yourself to put into your juice.

31. don says

I have a vitamix and have been juicing for years. The most important feature of having a vitamix is so u get all of the veggie and fruit by drinking the pulp to. Lots of healthy vitamins and fiber are in the pulp. I juiced for years feom using a juicer and what a waist it was in every way. The Vitamix will save you money by using less and getting more out of it. I have had the best juicers out there and nothing beats the Vitamix. You can even use wheatgrass in it with your other fruits and veggies. I drink a smoothy everyday three times a day. I should say almost everyday. I tend to slack too. But mostly I do stick to green smoothies everyday. And its much cheaper the eating other foods. Try it and you will see. Plus you are healthier for doing it. Cant begin to tell you the benefits of having a vitamix and using it. It is very much worth the cost. Its your health..

• don says

If u just blend a little longer and add ice it will be just like a smoothie. And I use seven differant friuts and veggies at a time. It is the best way to go. I have a video on youtube or by request and you can see for yourself how it turns out. Using the vitamix will heat up the smoothie because of the speed so thats why you want to add ice.Makes awesome organic quick soups to. Not trying to sell Vitamix. I am trying to sell good health so u benefit instead of the doctors. Your skin, weight, overall health and mental health will improve by just adding smoothies to your diet.

32. Ronnie says

Hi Angela!
    I’ve been juicing with my vitamix by using a jelly-staining bag and I love it!! So much easier than cleaning a juicer. I’ve always wondered though, what the nutritional differences are when comparing the product of an actual juicer and straining the fiber out of a vitamix smoothie. Do you have any insight on this?

Hi Ronnie! In my opinion, there isn’t a huge difference. I suppose purist juicers would claim that there’s heat produced by the fast-spinning blades of the Vitamix which could heat the vegetables and therefore decrease the potency of some of the nutrients in the juice. But if you’re not leaving the Vitamix running that long, I think the difference would be pretty negligible. I suppose it’s just a bit of extra effort to strain the pulp out. Personally, I actually quite like to keep it all in sometimes! So glad to hear that you’ve been loving your juices too! :)

• Razz says

If you use more water or real OJ – no water added variety – you’ll get a drink that’s less dense – not sludge like – with all the pulp reduced to a delicious drink. 30 secs on high doesn’t create sufficient heat to destroy vitamins. It’s all a matter of experimenting until you get it right for you. Remember when you juice with a Vitamix you are using the entire product: seeds, rind, core… If you ever used a quality juicer, you know that you can go through veggies the way a Gatling Gun goes through shells. With the Vitamix you use far fewer veggies for a nutritious drink which equals money saved.

Am totally stealing this idea for my blog/website. A juicer is just not in the budget right now, yet I crave juice…and I’m getting a little sick of smoothies. Thanks for this!
    Instagram: @coconutlimenutrition – I’ll post pictures and mention you!

Re the pulp – use it in muffins or loafs! (maybe just apple/carrot pulp…) Use 1-2 cups depending on the size of your recipe.

Krisha

No problem Krisha! I’m really looking forward to seeing what you create. I’ve heard about using pulp in muffins and loaves in the past but haven’t tried it – thanks for the reminder! I think apple/carrot/ginger would be delicious!

34. Joe Alsko says

Add 2 or 3 beets if you want to change the color of the juice to a nice purple.
    Instead of celery, use bock choy for about the same amount of moisture but more nutrients.
    I also add different kinds of peppers for a little kick (serrano, anaheim and/or jalepeno).

I Actually recently set up a steam shower unit,
    greatest thing i’ve invested in for some time,
    children and relatives think it’s great, simply cannot see us heading back to normal showers ever again

my web page: steam shower uk (tumblr.com)

Trackbacks