Recap: Try Something New Tuesday 139
How are you this morning? I’ve got lots to tell you about today so I’m going to jump straight into this week’s Try Something New Tuesday recap. Here we go!
1. Recipe of the Week. I’m super excited to bring you this week’s featured recipe because it’s one that I perfected two weekends ago. I originally made these Herb Quinoa Patties with Lemon Dill Sauce over the holidays at the request of my mum. This past summer, she was traveling with her girlfriends and she came home raving about these ‘amazing quinoa cakes’ that they ate at a restaurant they visited in BC. She bought a ton of quinoa knowing I was coming for the holidays and asked me to re-create the cakes while I was staying at her house.
I’ve made various patties before with enormous success, like these Lemon Dill Salmon Cakes and Curried Tofu Patties, so I figured this would be simple. I adapted an old recipe and when the final cakes came out of the oven, they looked marvellous. The problem? When we sat down to dinner a couple of hours later, they were hard. Really hard. Like “give me more dill sauce because I need to soften this baby up” kind of hard. Back to the drawing board I went. This time, with just 1/2 cup of grated zucchini and a little less time in the oven, they were perfect.
One of the questions my mum had about the patties was about their shape. How to restaurants get them looking so perfect? Well, I’m not sure what they use, but my trick is a little ramekin. Simply press the quinoa mixture (which contains all sorts of goodness like shredded spinach, fresh dill, onion and garlic) into the oiled ramekin with the back of the spoon, flip it out onto parchment (with a bit of a forceful whack) and voila!
If you’d like to incorporate these into a complete meal, I’d recommend serving them with the lemon dill sauce on top, a golden baked or grilled fillet of salmon, a green salad, and some lemon wedges on the side.
2. A new kitchen gadget. By now, you guys know that I’m a kitchen gadget junkie. From fancy expensive ones like my Vitamix and my juicer, to my spiralizer, to cute little whisks and flippers, I’m a sucker for them all. My sister is well aware of this, and she also knows that I go through more carrots than anyone else we know. Because she’s a clever and very creative present shopper, she knew this would be a very fitting Christmas present for me:
At first glance, you’re probably thinking, “It’s a pencil sharpener. What does that have to do with carrots or kitchen gadgets?” But look a little closer….
Notice how big it is?
That’s because it’s for peeling veggies, especially carrots!!
Thrilled by this gift, I couldn’t wait to rip it out of the package and make an enormous salad beast with as many curly veggies as possible. It’s got the ‘sharpener’ hole, as well as a slice/peeler blade on the bottom, so as you can see, hours of fun can be had from this fantastic little tool!
I haven’t had a ton of practice with it yet, but have a look at this video to see the Karoto in action:
How cool is that? While I still have lots of experimenting to do, this was the salad I enjoyed for lunch:
I’m still working on making the flowers as shown in the video, but with a little more practice, mine should be looking just as good.
If you have a veggie lover in your life that just can’t go another day without being able to sharpen their veggies, you can buy the Karoto peeler/sharpener, designed by Avichai Tadmore here.
So tell me…
- Have you recently eaten anything in a restaurant that you’re dying to re-make at home?
- What’s your favourite small kitchen tool? (I probably shouldn’t ask this because you’ll only give me ideas about new ones I need to buy, but tell me about them anyways!)
- Did you miss my giveaway announcement on Monday? Check it out and join me in making small healthy changes each day this month! You could win an awesome Sport Chek prize pack full of goodies to keep you motivated in your fitness adventures this year! Get the deets here.
Alright, have a wonderful day lovelies, and I’ll see you back here on Friday morning! 🙂