Vegan Fiesta Wraps from Eat Spin Run Repeat

Recap: Try Something New Tuesday 146

Hello there!

How’s your week going so far? Mine has been much more chilled-out than last week which was fun but very busy, so last night I enjoyed some nice quality time curled up in bed with a stack of Oxygen and Women’s Health magazines. I’m not a big TV watcher at all (I don’t even have cable any more) so mags are my way of vegging out! Speaking of vegging out, I’ve got a vegetable-packed Recipe of the Week for you today, and just like last week, I can’t wait to tell you about it!

1. Recipe of the Week: As you may remember from my goal setting post at the beginning of February, I decided I was going to go meatless every Monday this month. I have to say, there have been some GREAT vegetarian and vegan creations coming out of my kitchen, and this week’s featured recipe is one of them. It all begins with these ingredients:

Vegan Fiesta Wraps - Ingredients

Looks like the makings for tacos or burritos, right? Yep, you’re close!  These are vegan Fiesta Wraps with a delicious mixture of lentils and grated tempeh to replace the traditional ground beef filling. Lentils and tempeh might not sound like the most flavourful ingredients, but when you season them with homemade taco seasoning, the flavour is far from boring!

grating tempeh

Rather than describing how to make these in words, I’ll let the photos do the talking:

mashing avocado for guacamole

guacamole

Grated tempeh and lentils

Vegan Fiesta Wraps

Vegan Fiesta Wraps

Vegan Fiesta Wraps

Vegan Fiesta Wraps - rolled up tortilla

The final result:

Vegan Fiesta Wraps from Eat Spin Run Repeat

Just do it. You know you want to. Click here for the recipe! ;)

2. Simply Whey Bars. Before I talk about this new product, let me preface by saying this: If I had to pick an all-time favourite protein bar, it would be The Simply Bar by Wellness Foods. I’ve waxed poetic about my love for Simply Bars in the past, especially the cinnamon and cinnamon-pecan flavoured ones – they are AMAZING! I always have a stash of Simply Bars in my car and purse, and often recommend them to friends and clients looking for a portable, high-protein snack. Here’s how the stats of Simply Bars stack up against others:

Simply Bar Nutrition Comparison

The protein in Simply Bars comes from soy puff cereal, but we all know that there’s controversy around soy. If this is a concern of yours, there’s a new kid on the block that you should know about. A few weekends ago, I discovered Simply Whey Bars at Bulk Barn.

Simply Whey - Apple Cinnamon - by Wellness Foods

The second I laid eyes on this apple cinnamon flavoured beauty, the decision was made – a sure Try Something New Tuesday feature! Unlike Simply Bars, these aren’t vegan, but they’re still super low in sugar, fat and calories than others on the market. Currently they’re only available in Apple Cinnamon and Coconut, and here’s how the Coconut one compares:

Simply Whey Bar Comparison

Pretty impressive hey? But now you’re probably wondering how they taste…

Simply Whey - Apple Cinnamon

Judging by the fact that I made sure every last one of those itty bitty puffed circles made their way into my mouth yesterday afternoon, I’d say pretty awesome! The whey definitely tasted different from the soy crisp cereal, but I’ve decided I like both equally. These also seem to be more firm and hold together a bit better than The Simply Bars, which can be a little crumbly. I haven’t tasted the Coconut bars yet (they’re next!) but this one was a big winner!

In case you’re looking for The Simply Bars, you can find them for sale online, or in a number of retailers across North America and the UK. As for the Simply Whey Bars, they’re only available in Canada right now. My source for both is Bulk Barn, but if you’re a local reader and want the whey bars, they’re also available at Healthy Foods and More in Waterloo.

Alrighty, that’s all I’ve got today! Before you head off, I’d love to know…

• Do you do Meatless Mondays (or meatless any-days)? Have you tried any new recipes lately?
  • What’s your favourite on-the-go, easy-to-grab healthy snack?

Comments

1. cath/waterloo,ON says

i would rather read than watch tv, too, angela! (reading a magazine + knitting is also fun!).
    i love the tables comparing the types of bars – thanks for sharing! that is great that the whey bar is available at BB. i have linked soy with an unhappy stomach, but that’s amazing how much lower it is in sugars, for example, than some other bars.
    be safe with the weather today – i had to cancel my trip to TO to see my nieces – so i see yoga in my future, today!

Those wraps look yummy!! We try to only have a few meals each week with meat (about 2-3). For lunches I have been packing a delicious wrap with a sundried tomato/pesto tortilla, homemade spicy hummus, and all kinds of veggies (today is mushrooms, green peppers, sprouts, carrots, tomatoes, onion and sweet potato).

I have never seen those protein bars before, but they sound tasty! I might have to go seek them out…bummed they aren’t in the US yet!

3. Barbara says

Those wraps do look delicious! I often make lentil tacos, its just as easy as using ground beef!

I love grabbing protein bars on the go as well. However, my problem after looking more closely at these Simply Bars is that they don’t contain many other vitamins and minerals. Yes, they have protein and some fiber, but if I want to get a nutritional kick out of my bars, I’m going to have to go for a Luna Bar, a KIND bar, a HoneyStinger Protein, or a Powerbar Pria bar, all which contain a lot of additional nutrients, as well as protein, carbs, and healthy fats.

Great point Barbara. I think there’s definitely a tradeoff and it depends on what you’re looking for. While the Simply Bars have about 15% RDI for iron and the Simply Whey bars have 25% of our RDI for calcium, they don’t provide some of the vitamins that the ones you listed do. I think it all depends on what you’re looking for. A lot of protein bars are higher in calories and therefore I think they’re less ideal for people who are trying to watch their calorie intake, but you’re right – they’re more nutrient dense too which is also important to consider.

Thanks for the snack bar recommendation! I have been looking for a healthier gluten free snack bar for traveling. I usually make my own but want something that will last a week :)

Love that bar comparrison chart you posted! Thanks for sharing it. Clif bars are one of my favorites but it’s probably because of the high sugar content which always has concerned me. I’m going to have to keep an eye out for Simply Bars next time I go looking for protein bars!

PS Awesome recipe!! I can’t wait to try it!

6. Sherry says

I’ve been doing Meatless Mondays for a few months now. I love it but my family is a bit more dubious – fortunately they’ve been good sports so far. Vegan Mexican is generally a good choice so I’m looking forward to trying these. I made your Coconut Salmon Cakes for supper tonight and they were delicious! I doubled the batch and froze them for a quick lunch or supper another day.
    I stumbled upon the Simply Whey bars a month or so ago and think they are great. The coconut ones are very good too!

I’m so glad you enjoyed the salmon cakes, Sherry! I love them too, especially since they’re so easy to make. Great to hear that you like the coconut whey bars. In the past I’ve absolutely despised coconut, but as you can tell by the salmon cakes, it’s definitely growing on me!

Hi there. The current Food on Friday on Carole’s Chatter is collecting links to posts about Mexican dishes and flavours. I do hope you link this one in. This is the link . Please do pop back to check out some of the other links – there are a lot of good ones already. Have a great week.

8. A says

I think a lot of people erroneously look at #’s for health quality. But the ingredient list is far more important. At least LARA bars are just fruit, nuts, seeds, etc…really food..
    but stuff like “soy protien isolate” in the simply or soyjoy bars…not so much.