juicy tidbits 104: making green juice in a blender

Juicy Tidbits 104: Making Green Juice in a Blender {VIDEO}

Alas, we’ve reached the final post in the Juicy Tidbits series! We’ve covered lots so far, and if you’re just joining in, feel free to get caught up by reading the previous posts:

Back in Juicy Tidbits 102, I told you that it’s entirely possible to make the same green juice in a Vitamix that is made in a juicer. Today I’m going to prove it to you with two videos so you can see both appliances in action! Yes, the first videos to ever be published on Eat Spin Run Repeat with yours truly in them. It’s a big day, folks!

mango and pineapple

Just a quick note – I don’t know why there’s a bit of a blurriness in this video, but it appears I did something different in the second that improved it. Live and learn I suppose!

First up: Green juice a la Vitamix:

(Click here if you are reading this as an email and the video above does not appear.)

But wait! There’s more!

If you haven’t seen a juicer in action before, this is mine making the same recipe a la juicer:

(Click here if the video does not appear.)

As I mentioned in the first video, if you’re anti-pulp, you can check out my method for straining it out with tights here. But more importantly, if you’re getting thirsty and you’d like to get your hands on the Sunny Greens recipe that I made, you’ll find the blender and juicer versions over on Greatist.com!

Get the recipe!

Sunny Greens juice

Now I want to know:

• What is your all-time favourite beverage? It doesn’t have to be a green juice!
  • For my fellow juice-a-holics, feel free to link up to your best blends!

Comments

1. cath/waterloo,ON says

i love your “but wait! there’s more!” line there, angela! LOL!!
    thanks for this series – lots of helpful info!
    eesh…if i am going to be honest, i have to say diet coke is my favourite all-time beverage. the good news is that i have been dc free for over a year now. again, to be honest, i still get cravings. but carbonated water and coffee have been a-ok substitutes.
    have a great monday!

I think it’s SO awesome that you’ve been able to stick to your new DC-free habit Cathy! I used to be hooked on it too, but it’s funny – we just stopped buying it, and I stopped craving it. I’m glad you found some healthier vices!

2. Desiree says

Wow Angela those are great videos. I have followed your juicing in the vitamix tutorial before but it’s nice to see exactly how you make your juice too. I love my vitamix and use it often but would love to get a juicer too. I don’t really have an all time favorite beverage, I’m a water and green tea girl, however when I was in Hawaii last Nov I fell in love with their POG (Passion, Orange, Guava) juice. I can’t find it in Georgia which is a good thing. Too many sugars. Thanks again for posting the videos. You did fantastic.

3. Sarah L. says

Adorable!! I hope Jack Lalanne (sp?) sees this and sends you a free juicer for a giveaway, haha. My juicer is terrible – I believe it’s from Walmart AND we bought it used. I could never get as much juice as you get! Your kitchen is beautiful, btw!

Hi there, Its always great to see your exciting recipes. And this one is just looking Amazing. I am so tempted to try it pretty soon. Have a wonderful week ahead. Thanks for sharing awesome recipes.
    Best Regards, Sonia !!!

All time favorite drink is not good for me but it’s Izze yum yum.

We have been juicing since Christmas and love it. Still trying out different combinations and have had a few duds too.

I absolutely loved the one we made with sweet potato, carrots and orange. Yum!

Hi Dixie! It could still work – the thing about the Vitamix and other high-powered blenders though, is that they’re super durable whereas more standard models might have a harder time grinding up the dense pieces of produce like beets and carrots. It’s not to say it’s not possible though – you could just try chopping them up smaller. The Vitamix can also run for quite a long time, whereas less-durable blenders can sometimes overheat and stop, which is another thing to be careful of. Hope this helps!

6. Mary Aksim says

I don’t have a Vitamix but I do have a blender. Would this method work for Beets and Carrots? My friend makes the most amazing Beet, carrot, apple, celery, coriander, ginger juice and I was wondering if I could recreate it in a blender?

Just wanted your thoughts!

Hi Mary! I think you very likely could, as long as you chop the beets and carrots up smaller than I’ve done with the veggies in the video. If your blender is a really sturdy, high-powered one that can do a good job of pureeing things like frozen strawberries and other hard chunks of fruit, I don’t see it being a problem. I’d suggest doing it in batches and adding a little water to get things going. The celery is super high in water, so when that gets pureed, it should create plenty of liquid to allow you to do the rest of your ingredients. Hope this helps, and let me know how it turns out!

7. Ron says

Just wondering how much of an effect the ‘heat’ of the blender has on the nutrients vs the ‘heat’ of the centrifugal juicer you are using. I am not disagreeing with you, just wondering if it is really measurable. I am trying to decide between juicer and blender….

Great question Ron. To be honest, I really am not sure and I suppose it depends on how long you blend for (or if you aren’t straining the pulp, how much pulp you want to have. I don’t claim to be a super expert and my assumptions are far from scientific, but I’d say just go with whichever one you think you’ll get the most use out of. For me, it’s a blender – the juicer just happened to be super cheap when I found it on Kijiji so I bought it as well. Having said that, lately I’ve been using my juicer 1x per week but my Vitamix is used at least once a day.

Trackbacks