How are you today? Thanks for all of your comments on my DIY fruit bouquet on Monday. It sounds like some of you get just as excited about playing with food as I do. I’m glad you liked it and I hope you’ll try creating your own! I’ve got another giveaway for you today (1 of 3 this month, and no, it’s not fruit!) but we’ll get to that in a second. Right now, it’s recipe time!
1. Recipe of the Week. There are a few grocery items that I occasionally splurge on, and the featured ingredient this week is one of them. Fresh scallops can be pretty expensive, but luckily, Costco sells the frozen ones in a nice big bag for about $25. Sure, that price tag might sound a little hefty, but they last a long time if you’re using 6-8 at a time like I do.
Because they’re so delicate, too much additional flavor can really overpower these lovely little guys. Similarly, too much heat can make them all rubber-y, which isn’t very much fun to eat either. To avoid both problems, I’ve kept the ingredients really simple in these Chili Lime Scallops – just some lime juice, rice vinegar, soy sauce (or tamari), a pinch of dried chili flakes is all you’ll need.
Since the scallops from Costco are frozen, I typically set out as many as I need in a bowl before leaving for work, and put them in the fridge to thaw. It’s not very easy to skewer rock-hard scallops and you don’t want to do any defrosting in the microwave (well, unless you like chewing on rubber!) so this step is key. After I get home, I simply pour the marinade on top, leave them to sit for about 20 minutes longer, then heat up the grill. I’ve tried leaving them in the marinade for the day, but I don’t recommend it because the lime juice starts to firm up the flesh. Then it’s time to thread them onto skewers with some other veggies….
Easy, right? Of course, you could add more chili flakes if you really want to turn up the heat, but I used about 1/4 tsp and it was just enough spice without killing the gorgeous flavor of the scallops.
2. A brand new Simply Bar. Last month, one of the fabulous ladies at Wellness Foods, creators of The Simply Bar, emailed me to say that they were launching a brand spankin’ new flavor that had to be kept a secret until its launch on July 1st. Why July 1st? Well, because that’s Canada Day, and Wellness Foods is, after all, a Canadian company. (Woot woot!) Given that launch date, any ideas what the new flavour is? (And no, it’s not bacon or poutine)….
… it’s Maple Pecan!
Since my all-time favourite Simply Bar is Cinnamon Pecan, I couldn’t wait to try this one out. Just like the others, the Maple Pecan variety is awesome from a nutritional standpoint because:
- They contain 16g plant-based protein to keep you feeling satisfied, and only 140 calories
- They’re gluten free and kosher
- They’re vegan and vegetarian-friendly
- They’re very low in fat (4.5g in the maple pecan)
- They’re low in sugar (only 1g!), none of which is from artificial sweeteners
And of course, they’re absolutely delicious. I had to exercise major self control not only to keep the box sealed until after Canada Day, but to wait until today to enjoy one of the Maple Pecan bars. (This is a Try Something New Tuesday recap, after all.) I took one to work to have as my afternoon snack, and was looking forward to it all day!
Flavour wise, I found the pecan taste to be a little stronger than the maple, but the combination was delicious. Like the other Simply Bars, this one was quite a lot softer than the Simply Whey Bars I’ve tried (you can check out my review of the Apple Cinnamon one here), but still held together well.
Want to try one for yourself? You can! The ladies at Wellness Foods are allowing me to give away one box of the new Maple Pecan Simply Bars to a lucky Eat Spin Run Repeat reader. All you have to do is tell me…
If you could create a new flavour for the Simply Bar, what would it be?
This giveaway is open to Canadian residents only, and you’ve got until midnight on Sunday, July 14th to enter. I’ll announce the winner first thing on Monday morning, so be sure to check back to see if it’s you!
Good luck, and have a wonderful day!