How has your week been? Any fun plans for the weekend? I’m really looking forward to tomorrow morning because THIS GIRL is running outside. Well actually, if it rains I’ll be running on Sunday instead, but either way, I’ll be outside at some point. The plan is to go for about an hour, nothing too crazy, just to prep my legs for next weekend’s 10K. Last summer, a lot of the routes near my house felt really challenging because my iron was so low and I felt like even the smallest hills were mountains, so I’m looking forward to getting back out there and showing them who’s boss. 🙂 Have you transitioned some of your fitness regime outside yet?
Work It Out
Last week I asked you guys if you had any specific workout requests, and a handful of you requested some new high intensity interval cardio routines. Because I aim to please, that’s what’s on tap for this week. While I’ve set this one up to be done as a run, you could absolutely do the same thing on a bike, elliptical, stair climber, or any other piece of cardio equipment.
The Speed Ladder Workout
For this routine, you’ll be doing 6 rounds of speed intervals, each one varying in length. Starting with a 30s all-out sprint effort followed by a nice 2 and a half minute active recovery, you’ll progress by adding 30 more working seconds each round, until you build up to a 3-minute sprint. These are meant to be tough efforts, so don’t be afraid to push yourself and get sweaty!
Turn It Up
This week’s tune isn’t exactly one that I’d use for intervals, but it’s wonderful if you’re headed out for a nice long, steady run. I Remember by Kaskade and Deadmau5 is an upbeat, yet calming song at the same time, and I find it really helps me zone out and get into a good rhythm. Let me know what you think!
Have A Read
- 18 ways to change up your running routine – via Greatist
- The Safety Pin Diaries – and why it’s important to bring your own to races – a good laugh from RunnersWorld.com
- 4 interval running tips for beginners – via Competitor.com
Now it’s over to you. I’d love to hear…
- Is anyone racing this weekend? If you are, good luck!!
- What’s your ideal workout duration? I’m trying to build a few more routines that suit people’s schedules, but I know many of you are crunched for time. Do you prefer workouts that are 30 mins or less, 45, or around the 1-hour mark?
Have a lovely weekend and I’ll see you back here next week with some exciting giveaways!