Holy smokes. 200!?!? That’s nuts! It baffles me that I’ve done 200 Try Something New Tuesday posts since starting to write Eat Spin Run Repeat nearly 4 years ago. Time flies when you’re having fun, I suppose! As the title of this post would suggest, I’ve got a great giveaway coming up, but first, a recipe to share.
1. Recipe of the week. For a lot of the clients that I coach, fish is a protein source that many of them don’t enjoy. I think this has to do a lot with the foods we were raised on. For example, common fish like tilapia, cod, salmon and tuna were part of many meals that my family enjoyed while I was growing up, but one of my former roommates who couldn’t stand fish (or so she thought) was raised mainly on chicken and beef.
For those that are fish newbies, or aren’t keen on strong fishy tastes, I always recommend starting out with a mild white-fleshed type. These tend to be weaker in flavour relative to salmon, trout, sardines, and sardines, and they’re really versatile. Some examples include cod, haddock, sole, and today’s catch, tilapia. But here’s the thing: On their own they’re a little boring, so you need to spice them up a bit.
As I’ve mentioned in the past, I’m a HUGE fan of Costco’s Kirkland brand organic no-salt seasoning. All it contains is a bunch of dried bits of vegetables and spices, and I use it to season the majority of my dinners. It works really well as a coating for fish, which is exactly how I’ve used it in this Herb and Hemp Seed Crusted Tilapia.
After pulsing those ingredients together, you’ll be left with this flavour-packed coating that beats your average panko bread crumbs any day.
Then, simply dredge the tilapia fillets in the crumbs, bake them in the oven (or grill or fry – whatever floats your boat), and voila!
The result is nice crispy fillets, a bit like fish and chips, but a heck of a lot healthier than the kind you buy in a box in the grocery store’s frozen foods section. If you or someone in your family has yet to develop a taste for fish, I’d recommend this recipe as a tasty place to start! Oh, and if you’re not too sure what types of fish you’ll enjoy, or if you’re looking to find something new, check out this Pick My Fish recommendation tool, which generates suggestions based on your preferences. I thought it was pretty neat!
2. Love Grown Foods Power O’s. Switching gears from dinner to breakfast, here’s a new reason to get excited – especially for all of my cereal loving friends! Love Grown Foods just launched a brand new product, Power O’s, which will be available in grocery stores later this month.
You may already know Love Grown Foods as the makers of hot oats, Super Oats, and oat cluster granola, and Power O’s are their first shot at breakfast cereal. But these aren’t just your average O’s – they taste nothing like Froot Loops (thank goodness) and contain ingredients that are far superior. Power O’s come in chocolate, strawberry, honey, and original, and here’s a peek at the original flavour’s ingredients panel:
Yes, you read right – they’re made of beans and lentils! You would never know by their taste. I like the plain ones best because they’re so versatile and have the fewest ingredients. Often when I wake up for my early-morning workouts, I’m not hungry at all but know I should eat something if I’m headed out on a long run. I’ve found that a handful of Power O’s are really light and easy to digest, and they’re quickly becoming one of my go-to pre-run snacks. I’m also thinking these would make a good crunchy trail mix add-in, along with some nuts and dried fruit.
The chocolate, strawberry and honey O’s are a bit higher in sugar (9g per cup) which is another reason I prefer the original ones, but that’s still low relative to other breakfast cereals on the shelves. I also think it’s cool that these are a source of plant-based protein, thanks to the beans. Oh, and you won’t see any scary ingredients or dyes on the box of the strawberry-flavoured O’s to make them pink – they get their colour from purple carrots!
If you’d like to try some Power O’s before they even hit the grocery store shelves, you’re in luck! Love Grown Foods and I are spreading a little love with a giveaway, and one lucky winner will receive:
- 1 full size box of Power O’s in the flavour of your choice
- 4 mini boxes (one of each – plain, honey, strawberry and chocolate)
How to enter? There are many ways! Leave a blog post comment answering the question below, and feel free to do any of the additional entries. Just be sure to include in your comment that you did.
- Mandatory: Leave a blog post telling me your favourite cereal of all time, where you buy it, and which flavour of Power O’s your most excited to try
- Optional: Tweet about this giveaway. For example “I want to win some #PowerOs from @eatspinrunrpt and @lovegrownfoods! #spreadlove http://wp.me/p1Y0xO-5th” (Click here to tweet this now.)
- Optional: Like Eat Spin Run Repeat and Love Grown Foods on Facebook
- Optional: Follow Eat Spin Run Repeat and Love Grown Foods on Twitter
The giveaway will close at midnight EST on Tuesday, April 15th and is open to anyone in Canada and the US. I’ll announce the winner in Wednesday morning’s post. Oh, and stay tuned next week because I have another very special giveaway to announce!
Good luck! 🙂