Happy Friday! How was your week? It’s been absolutely gorgeous here in Vancouver recently and I have every intention of soaking up some more sun this weekend. I’ll be doing a long ride and run tomorrow, a long run on Sunday morning, then driving to a nearby lake with a friend. We’ll have our wetsuits and bikes in tow, ready to practice open water swimming and triathlon transitions. I’m excited and slightly scared at the same time, but having someone along with me definitely makes it easier.
Work It Out
Last week’s Fit Bit Friday was a fairly intense running workout, so this week I’m switching back to a strength training/cardio mix that you can do almost anywhere. You won’t need any equipment for this one, unless you want to amp things up and give yourself an extra challenge. If so, grab a couple of weights – one light/moderate pair and one single heavier dumbell.
The Fast 15 Workout
This quick circuit can be done as many times through as you have time for. If you only have 5 minutes – don’t you worry – you can still fit one round in! If you’ve got a little more, repeat the circuit 3-4 times, resting 2-3 minutes after you’ve completed all 7 moves in the set. Do the cardio moves quickly (jumping jacks, skaters, tuck jumps and burpees) to get your heart pumping, then focus on form for the strength-based exercises.
For those of you looking for the extra challenge, add dumbells in as follows:
- Reverse lunges with kick and punch: Hold lighter dumbells in your hands, punching forward when you would otherwise punch your fist forward. You’ll have to engage your core more to stay balanced.
- Tiptoe sumo squats: Hold one heavier dumbbell with both hands and let it hang down between your legs.
- Push-ups with side plank rotation: Do the push-ups with your hands on the dumbells, and lift them up when you rotate your torso, pointing them up to the ceiling.
Let’s get right into it:
Turn It Up
This doesn’t happen often, but I was really struggling to find you guys an awesome workout tune this week. To be honest, I’m getting a little bored of my own playlists these days! Solution: Listen to Spotify all day at work until something good comes on. One of those somethings was Bad ft. Vassy by David Guetta and Showtek, and I really like it as a song for strength training. Let me know what you think, and if you happen to have stumbled across any great workout songs lately, leave em in the comments below so I can check them out!
Have A Read
- 6 lame excuses for not strength training and how to stop them – via Mind Body Green
- 7 tricks to boost run speed in hot weather – via Shape
- Need new tunes? Here’s a playlist to get you through your next HIIT workout – via the Vega Blog
Alright, that’s it for me this week! Before you go, tell me…
- What’s on your fitness agenda this weekend?
- Any workout requests for next week? Let’s hear ‘em!