Hello from the booming metropolis of…… Windsor, Ontario!
Oh I joke, I joke. Windsor is far from being a booming metropolis, but this weekend it’s the site of my cousin’s wedding and lots of family time. I flew in last night on the redeye and am feeling unusually alert this morning, but definitely anticipate the need for a nap at some point this afternoon. The wedding is tomorrow and I’m confident it’ll be a late night, especially since this girl is used to going to bed at granny-o-clock. Having said that, the fact that my body clock is still on Pacific time just might work in my favour!
Work It Out
Earlier this week I posted my self-designed half Ironman training schedule for Ironman 70.3 Victoria, and the workout I’ve got for you today is an example of the strength/power-focused bike sessions I referred to. It’s one I’ve tried a couple of times as a higher-intensity workout, straddling it with less-intense efforts on the days before and after.
The Pedal Pusher Bike Workout
This interval-based workout is very similar as last week’s treadmill session, only it’s much lower impact since you’re on the bike. I know lots of you have concerns about high impact exercise, but this routine will get you plenty sweaty, I promise!
You’ll climb through 5 hill repeats, each one gradually building in steepness, then accelerate over the top for 1 minute. There’s a full 2 mins of recovery after each climb, so make sure you earn it!
Turn It Up
This week’s tune is Alive by Sia, one that I love listening to while pushing hard through the gritty parts of a solid bike workout. It starts deceptively slow, but when it’s right in your ears, the builds are fantastic and her voice is absolutely unreal. Enjoy!
Have A Read
- 5 moves everyone should be able to do – and what it means if you can’t – via Greatist
- Periodization and mixed training – via Training Peaks. A slightly geeky but really interesting read that’s relevant to those of us training for endurance races
- Why bike intervals could make you a better runner – via Triathlete
Now it’s over to you! Tell me…
- What are some of your favourite low impact, high intensity workouts?
- What’s one thing you’re most proud of accomplishing this week?