Happy Friday to you! How’s your week been? Over here I feel like the gears in my head have been spinning non-stop, but all throughout I’ve been telling myself the madness is worth it because there’s lots of fun ahead. Today I’m heading to Crossfit, work, and then paying a visit to the lovely ladies of at withinUs and making them some smoothies. This weekend holds some more hiking adventures (because last Saturday was so much fun and I want more!) and possibly a sea wall stroll. Oh, and I’m planning to experiment with some homemade beauty products – more to come on that soon if they’re successful. SOOOO many activitiessssss!
Work It Out
For all my HIIT-loving friends out there, today’s session is for you. It incorporates a mix of sprints (either on a treadmill, on a track, or wherever you’ve got 400-800m of open space) and strength training, and like most of my workouts lately, checks the cardio, strength and power boxes. Short and sweet, the focus is intensity so that you can easily fit it into your day.
The Sprint-Strength Ladder Workout
For this you’ll need a step or bench, a single weight (a kettlebell, medicine ball, sandbag or other heavy object are all perfect), and some open space to run. While the sprint distances get shorter as you progress, the reps for the strength moves increase. You’ll need to slow down to do the strength moves with good form and your heart rate will fall as a result, but make sure you spike it right back up again on every sprint.
- Decline push-ups: Position your toes on the edge of a bench or step for this, with hands on the ground. Too hard? Modify to regular push-ups.
- Weighted walking lunges: Hold your weight with both hands straight over your head.
- Bench step-ups: To make it harder, do these with your weight held over your head.
- Triceps dips: Do these with your hands on the edge of a bench or step. To make it harder, elevate your feet and/or put your weight in your lap.
Turn It Up
Your workout jam this week is the Deep Remix of Hero by Cash Cash ft Christina Perri. While it’s good for any workout, I’ve added it to my sprint and temp run playlist because I love the build of the verses up to the high-energy chorus. It’s not quite as powerful if you’re just listening to it out of a laptop, but get your earbuds in, turn them up, and I think you’ll see what I mean!
Can’t see the video? Click here.
Have A Read
- So Close! Kipchoge Runs a 2:00:25 in the Breaking2 Attempt – via Runner’s World. In case you missed it last weekend, Nike created quite a buzz (ok – a huge buzz) with Sub2, the attempt of 3 elite runners to break a 2-hour marathon. Although the clock said 2:00:25 when Kipchoge crossed the line, he pretty much did it in my mind. The event took place in Italy and was live streamed on Twitter. As a digital marketer in my full-time job, I was just as into what this meant for Nike as a brand as I was the marathon itself. For my fellow marketing geeks out there, you might also be interested in AdWeek’s coverage.
- How slowing down led me to a fitter, more productive life – via Mind Body Green
- 10 coolest workouts taking over LA right now – via Well+Good. I’ll be putting a few of these studios on my list for my next fitness-focused travel adventure!
Now it’s over to you! Tell me, will you be getting outside for any fun adventures this weekend?