I have a confession to make. Not too long ago, I added yet another small appliance to my collection of kitchen gadgets. You see, I once had a roommate who had a waffle maker, and this is how the early waffle recipes here on the blog came about. When said roommate moved out I secretly hoped she’d forget about it but unfortunately this wasn’t the case. My life has been a waffle desert for the last 2 years, but after finding a Cuisinart waffle maker at Sobeys for about $30, I’ve been dreaming up recipes like crazy. Including these:
Meet the Vanilla Fruit Explosion Protein Waffles, one of my most recent post-workout breakfasts. Like these protein pancakes, all you need to do is blend up the ingredients in your Vitamix (or other blender) and cook the batter in batches. I highly, highly recommend spraying your waffle maker plates with oil prior to doing this though, because you don’t want to let any of this goodness go to waste. (My waffle maker’s box says it’s non-stick… and that’s a lie.) Admittedly, there’s no fruit actually in the waffles, but the explosion part of the name comes from the mountain of berries and kiwis I like to enjoy on top and between them. Wafflewich, anyone?
Although these pancakes are gluten free, they use whey protein powder so are not vegan. Having said that, I’m working on a vegan alternative and if all goes according to plan, it’ll be coming soon!
Vanilla Fruit Explosion Protein Waffles
Prep Time: 5 mins
Cook Time: 10 mins
Ingredients (2 waffles)
- 1/2 cup egg whites
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 packets stevia
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp almond milk or water
- strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, kiwis, or any other fruit you have on hand
- Combine all ingredients except for the fruit toppings in a blender. Blend until a smooth batter forms.
- Heat your waffle maker, then spray the plates with oil to prevent sticking. Pour the batter onto the bottom plate, spreading it around to fill in the grooves.
- Close the lid and cook according to the directions of your waffle maker.
- Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Serve waffles topped with fruit of choice.
So tell me…
- Do you make your own waffles? Any awesome recipes to share?