Who’s ready for the weekend?! I sure am. It’s been a hard-working kinda week but I’m super excited to chill out and relax for the next couple of days. On my agenda is a baby shower, a nice solo long run tomorrow, a tea date with friends, and chilling out with a large stack of Runners World magazines while simultaneously deciding on my training approach for SeaWheeze in 5 weeks. What will YOU be getting up to?
Work It Out
This week’s fitness feature is a routine I’ve done twice this month and both times have left me with that lovely hurts-so-good feeling the day after. It’s a primarily lower-body focused workout, but you’ll also be using all of the muscles in your core to help stabilize yourself as you move through each exercise.
The Bombshell Bottom Half Workout
For this 6-move circuit, you’ll need a barbell and a step. If you find any of the moves too challenging to do with the barbell while still maintaining proper form, feel free to drop it and just use your body weight. Take 2-3 minutes of rest at the end of each round, and repeat the set of 6 moves for a total of 2-3 rounds.
Turn It Up
Today’s tune is inspired by Jess, who recently reminded me how wonderful Gareth Emery is. I have a few of his songs in my spin playlists and have been meaning to download more, but until now just haven’t managed to find the time. I’m pleased to report my iPod is has been refreshed and it now includes my current favourite, U. Yes, it’s just called U and for this song, Gareth has teamed up with fellow English singer/songwriter, Bo Bruce. The upbeat energy combined with the brief slower bits makes it an awesome song for doing intervals, or pushing through the toughest parts of any workout. Enjoy!
Have A Read
- 47 crazy fun plank variations for a killer core – via Greatist
- 4 tips for women to get comfortable on the bike – via Training Peaks. If you’re fed up with saddle sores and are desperate for help, give this one a read!
- Video: Kara Goucher’s Marathon Training Tips – via Competitor.com. If there’s anyone who knows what she’s talking about when it comes to training, it’s Kara!
- Video: Recap of The North Face Endurance Challenge Ontario – via Duct Tape TV. Unfortunately there’s not a lot of coverage from the half marathon, but it you’ll get to meet the male and female winners of the 80k!
Now, I’d love to hear…
- If you’re training for a race, what’s the next one on your calendar? Are there any specific types of workouts you’d like to see here to help you prepare?
- What was the best part of your week?