Happy August, friends! And to my Canadian readers, don’t you love months that start off with long weekends? August is going to be a month full of fabulousness for many reasons but I’ll talk more about that on Monday. For now, I’ve got a wicked workout to tell you about! I’m still feeling it 2 days later and I think you’re going to like this (in a painful-but-good sort of way.) 😉
Work It Out
Since August and abs both start with A, I figured today would be a great day for an ab/core routine. When it comes to getting a good core burn, I tend to prefer total-body moves like barbell squats, pull-ups and barbell deadlifts because they also engage a ton of other muscles in the body. However, we don’t always have access to dumbells, barbells and squat racks so today’s routine is one you can do at home on days when you can’t make it to the gym.
The moves are more isolated to work core muscles specifically, so if you’ve just had a really heavy lift and need a lighter day, this workout would be a great option. Having said that, don’t think it’s going to be easy – you will still feel a good burn!
The Killer Abs Workout
In this circuit you’ll do a series of 7 moves, 2-3 times through. If you haven’t got a medicine ball, any heavy object that you can easily grip in both hands will work. Perform the circuit, moving immediately from one move to the next. After you finish the low plank, rest for 2-3 minutes before starting again from the top. Be sure to focus on form the entire time, consciously engaging your core muscles to get the biggest bang for your buck!
Turn It Up
This week’s tune is yet another one that I heard for the first time while driving to the gym in the wee hours of the morning. (I swear, they play some of the best music at that time!) And thank goodness for Shazaam because I wouldn’t have had a clue who it was, nor would I have been able to remember any of the lyrics by the time I got home. Have a listen to Ten Feet Tall by Afrojack ft, Wrabel. If you’ve got power intervals or any intense bursts planned in your next workout, this one will be a great fit!
Have A Read
- TRX Workout: 5 moves to work your whole body – via Greatist.com
- How to have a faster transition – via Training Peaks. Some great advice for triathletes looking to improve their race times.
- New Research: Run just 5 miles a week for greater longevity – via RunnersWorld.com. A new study referenced here has been a huge topic of conversation on many health and fitness sites this week. This article talks about the study, which found that running as little as 5 miles per week extends life span and improves heart health.
- Podcast: 10 tips for raising healthy, smart and successful kids – via BenGreenfieldFitness.com. If you haven’t heard of Ben Greenfield yet, you should know that he’s big into biohacking and is really, really smart when it comes to all things fitness. I listen to his podcast regularly and love geeking out on all the information he shares. I wanted to highlight this particular episode because I know many of you have small children and are looking for ways to fit fitness into your lives while raising your family. Ben and his guest Ari Meisel are both fathers of twins and share their best tips for getting fit WITH their kids, as well as how they’re raising their little ones to be healthy, smart and successful.
Now before you head off, tell me…
- Are you planning to tackle any new fitness adventures this month?
- Did you have any killer, feeling-on-top-of-the-world workouts this week? I want to hear about them!