Have you had a good week? No complaints over here. Last week was a low-volume recovery one as far as half Ironman training goes, but this week’s mileage was ramped right back up again and things are feeling goooooood! Recovery periods are a necessary evil of training plans like the one my coach has me on (and in life in general!), but the progress I’ve seen since starting this whole thing in December is enough to convince me of the benefits. I’ll do another dedicated training check-in post like I did in January closer to the end of this month, but for now, let’s talk about a workout you can do this weekend.
Work It Out
Since last week’s routine required weights, let’s switch it up and go for a no-equipment workout this week. This one targets the core the most, but I’ve also tossed in some strength-based moves to ensure that every muscle in your body gets in on the action. If you have limited time this weekend but still want a full head-to-toe workout, this one will do the trick!
The No-Equipment Weekend Warrior Workout
Do the circuit below 3 times through, focusing primarily on form. You don’t need to try to do any of the movements quickly, but focus on consciously contracting the muscles doing the work. When you’ve finished a set, take 2-3 minutes rest, then go again. At the end, be sure to stretch out and if possible, foam roll the major muscle groups.
Turn It Up
This week’s tune is one that a co-worker of mine introduced me to earlier last week. It didn’t even need time to grow on me – I loved it instantly. It’s called Black Hole by Craig Connelly ft Christina Novelli, and not only am I listening to it during workouts, but it’s also on my at-work playlist for those days that seem to be dragging by and all that makes them speed up is music. I try not to listen to my ‘power songs’ outside of workouts, but this one is just too good not to!
Have A Read
- Are you weak in the glutes? – via Competitor. And if you are, here are some good tips to strengthen your, ahem, asset. 😉
- 4 mental running tips from the world’s fastest man, Usain Bolt – via Shape.com
- Why female endurance athletes need to strength train – via Training Peaks. I couldn’t agree more!
- Row your way to better posture – via Zelle. A timely find, especially following last week’s pull-focused workout.
Now over to you! Tell me…
- Any workout requests for upcoming weeks? Let’s hear em!
- What are your plans for the weekend, fitness or otherwise?
Lastly, the winner of my Linwoods Health Foods giveaway is Lauren. Congratulations! I’ll be in touch shortly to get your contact details.
Have a great weekend! 🙂