As you read this I’ll likely be en route to Michigan for my cousin’s wedding this weekend. It’s been 2 whole months since I moved my life out west and back then, this wedding felt like ages away! Nevertheless, I’m really excited because not only will I be celebrating with my cousin on her special day, but my mum’s coming down from Ontario and my sister is flying in from the UK. I haven’t seen her since earlier last year and can’t wait for some long overdue sisterly bonding! 😉
Work It Out
Since I’m going to be staying in a hotel for the next couple of days, I started thinking earlier this week about some workouts to do in the hotel’s gym. It’s a lower volume triathlon training week so I don’t have a long ride or run planned, but I figured I’d travel prepared with a little core routine to whip out should the urge arise! This one was tested on Monday and oooooh boy… were the muscles ever singing on Tuesday! At this point I have no idea what sort of equipment will be available, so the requirements here are pretty basic. I think you guys (especially those of you who like a bit of day-after-the-workout pain) are gonna like this one!
The Total Core Attack Workout
For this one you’ll need a mat, a Swiss ball, a medicine ball (a dumbell or object around 10-15lbs works fine too), and either an ab wheel or 2 small towels. The left column indicates how many sets of each exercise pair to do before you move to the next set, and your reps are in the right column. Aim to keep moving through the exercises, stopping only briefly for water when needed.
Turn It Up
This week’s tune is Happyness by Cosmic Gate, and yes, they really do spell it with a ‘y’ – that’s not a typo. It’s a song I randomly stumbled across thanks to Spotify’s ‘top recommendations for you’ section and it makes a perfect song for lifting the energy of a run or ride. This version is just under 6 1/2 minutes and listening to it during a run seems to make me forget all about what my legs are doing. Enjoy!
Have A Read
- What to eat before running: Top 10 energy boosts – via the Vega blog
- The Best Training Happens at Night: A Triathlete’s Guide to Sleep – via Ironman
- The Best Way to Run and Race Hills – via Runner’s World
- 5 Workouts to Build Trail Race-Ready Strength – via Trail Runner
Now over to you! Tell me…
- What’s on your agenda this weekend?
- Have you been wowed by any hotel fitness facilities recently? The last hotel I stayed in was in Vegas, but there was no need to use the gym because there were endless miles of roads and trails outside to run and ride on. However, I just might have to add these ones to my hotel gym visit bucket list. Oahu? Sign me right up!