We made it to the end of another one, friends!
How was your week? I have to say, life is pretty darn sweet over here and I have SO much to be grateful for. This weekend I’m headed out for a long bike ride with one of my triathlete buddies, meeting some friends for lunch, and going to watch the Canadian women’s soccer team battle it out in the FIFA Women’s World Cup. On top of all that, one of my new recipes, Summer Rolls with Almond Butter Sauce was published on Mind Body Green, and I’m pretty darn excited about that!
Moving on, we’ve got a workout to do!
Work It Out
Last week was a no-equipment routine, so this time around I’ve got a run-based one for all of you looking to get a little bit more speedy. It’s easiest to do on the treadmill, but if you really want to be outside, you can also do it by feel and by following the RPE (rate of perceived exertion) indications in the chart below.
The Crank Up the Volume Workout
In this run, you’ll work in 4 speeds – easy/moderate, hard, harder, and hardest. You’ll complete work intervals of 30, 60, and 90 seconds with plenty of rest in between at your easy/moderate pace. The idea is to feel as though you’re really accelerating through the work intervals, then maximize your recovery so that you can go just as fast (or faster!) in the next one.
Turn It Up
Those of you who aren’t so keen on country are going to have to forgive me this week, because that’s exactly what I’ve got for you today. It’s not really a workout tune, but more of a cool-down one. In fact, at just over 4 minutes long, this is a great one to put on the end of your playlist for the workout above.
I’m currently going through a BIG Lady Antebellum phase (like so big that if you lived with me, you’d probably want to strangle me for having the songs on repeat over and over and over and….) Anyways, Down South is one of my faves on their 2014 album, 747, so that’s why it’s the featured tune of choice. However, if you want another good one with a bit more energy behind it, have a listen to Hey Bartender.
Have A Read
- Choosing the best taper for your next triathlon – via Training Peaks
- Quiz: What workout should you do today? – via Greatist
- Strength and conditioning fitness and nutrition plans are now available on VegaSport.com! Vega launched workout and nutrition plans to help you meet your running goals earlier this spring, and the strength and conditioning series just came out last week. You can sign up here (and it’s totally free!)
Now over to you! Tell me…
- What’s on your weekend fitness agenda?
- What was one of your personal wins this week? Big or small, feel free to boast about yourself!
Lastly, the winner of my Sibu skincare giveaway is Patricia. Congratulations! I’ll be emailing you shortly to get your contact details.
Have a great weekend, all! 🙂